Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Going to Denver this comming weekend, any site seeing suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default OT: Going to Denver this comming weekend, any site seeing suggestions?

I'm heading out to Denver this comming weekend and have a free day on Sunday. Anyone have any site seeing suggestions? I was thinking on heading over and checking out Aspen.

Thanks for any ideas!

Shawn
Old 10-09-2005, 09:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,982 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Aspen is great this time of year, but it's a long drive from Denver (around 4 hrs). Rocky Mountain National Park is alot closer and very pretty (but doesn't have the fancy shops and restaurants of Aspen). BTW, it's going to snow tonight in Denver, but be in the 70's again for the weekend...
Old 10-09-2005, 11:05 PM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just in Aspen two weeks ago and the fall colors were amazing. As Grant mentioned, it's a bit of a drive... a little over 3 hrs. If you're going to see the leaves, it's too late. RMNP is beautiful as well as Vail. Vail is only 1.5hrs from Denver.

GrantG mentioned snow tonight, a friend just came back from Vail and he confirmed five inches of snow at the tunnel! May want to consider avoiding the mountain passes if they're spreading down the gravel.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:18 PM
95cab
Instructor

I made the drive to Rocky Mountain Park when I had some free time on a business trip in Devner. It's worth the trip. Along the way, you drive thru Boulder, but be sure to stop in Estes Park, where the Stanley Hotel (inspiration for the book The Shining - leave a little time to check it out) is located, very nice little mountain town. I was there in the spring, so many of the RMNP roads were still closed due to snow. On the return, there's an incredibly scenic canyon drive back almost due east (maybe someone more familiar can tell you the route), then you head back south to Denver. Did the whole round trip in approx 4-5 hours, but could easily have taken much longer, if had time.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Hows your Aspen.. never mind

A drive through Estes Park is always great, especially this time of year! Head North to I34 west, through Loveland and into the canyon for a nice twisty drive to Estes Park. Thats my pick..
Old 10-09-2005, 11:29 PM
95cab
Instructor

Good idea - if I'd known it was awaiting me, i'd have taken the canyon east to west...
Old 10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Guys. I thought Aspen was closer. I don't want to spend all driving a rental car. The 993 would be a bit different.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive up to Boulder, walk around the downtown mall for a bit, then drive up and walk/hike in the Flatirons for a bit. Then drive up Boulder Canyon to Nederland and take the peak to peak highway (119) south. Stop in Blackhawk to gamble a bit if you desire and then take the canyon route (highway 6) back to Golden and then back to Denver via the interstate. This route gets you out of the car and lets you see some of the nice mounain sights.

Quick Reply: OT: Going to Denver this comming weekend, any site seeing suggestions?