Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recaro Pole Position Install Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 02:30 AM
SteveG.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro Pole Position Install Questions....

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my standard seats with some Pole Positions. I want to get sliders for the Recaros as well.

Some questions I had on the install are:

1. Will I run into any issues with passenger side airbag errors, lights, etc?

2. Is the install straight-forward?

3. How difficult is it to remove the covers if I want to get the shells painted the car color?

4. Are the sliders an easy bolt-on piece?

Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-08-2005, 03:47 AM
jnor10
Instructor

Its mostly straight forward with the tunnel area being the pt. of challenge.

Use the large metal spacers between the seat and the brackets and set the seat to brackets, brackets to sliders. Don't over tighten the brackets to the seats as you can break the thread inserts in the seats loose. Don't have a torque value to offer, I just did it to my comfort level.
remove oem seats, plenty of posts on this, easy, make sure you get a sure fit in the allen head nuts so as not to strip.
I re-used the seat belt attachments, re-connect wires to receptacle so the seat belt light is circuit is complete.
The inner seat belts are the point of contention, I used a brey krause belt attachment, but had to do some bending to make it comply with the tunnel. Someone posted using a seatbelt attachment from a 964 RS America ( I think? use the search) Did some dremeling as well. The drivers seat sits closer to the tunnel than the pax seat, so it took a bit more work to get proper clearance for the seat to slide freely.
I think the fabric comes off easily ( don't know about leather) if you want to paint the shells.
Fairly straight forward, very happy witht the seats.
I auto cross with the car and have been in no rush to get a harness as they
hold you in very well.

Hope this helps,

Jeff N.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:32 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve,

I agree with Jeffs comments. A few additional comments as I did things slightlly differently.

I installed my seat with Recaro sliders and Brey Krause side plates. Not really hard, but a bit tedious getting everything to fit correctly.

The BK side plates help the seat sit down a little lower, which is very nice for helmet room.

I used the BK cross brace for the sub belt. Bolts in nicely onto the sliders. Probably not OK for club racing rules, but great everywhere else.

The Recaro sliders did NOT have the holes in the right places for installation, so I ended up drilling the holes in the sliders. As these were supposed to be the right sliders for a 993 install, it was annoying. Anyway, if you go with the aftermarket sliders, be prepared to drill some holes. Factory sliders are probably the easier way to go, but I had power seats and those sliders were different and could not be used.

The last issue I had was the mounting of the stock seat belt. The BK side plates I used did not have a mount for the seat belt, so I had to fabricate one. I believe the newer side plate now have this. I would recommend getting the BK plates with the seat belt mount built in.

If you are going to install a 5 point harness as well, you will want to mount the inboard lap belt anchor while the seats are out of the car... Alternatively you can use the BK seat belt adapters. I believe they now make a shorter adapter for the racing buckets, I tried a pair of the original longer BK seatbelt adapters and they did not fit for me.

I have only had part of the seat cover off, but it looks trivial to remove.

My wife has the car out at the PCA autocross over at Alameda today (Saturday) if you want to check out the seat and the install.

Pete
Old 10-08-2005, 04:40 PM
SteveG.
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for the input.

I too have a power seat, and I wasn't thinking....just the driver side. I can't use my slider so i will have to purchase at least one. FVD was saying that I can use my sliders from my stock seats and they mount to a specific Recaro bracket....?

Pete, thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, I have a family party to attend today. Maybe we can hook up another time? I would love to see your install.

Steve

Quick Reply: Recaro Pole Position Install Questions....