Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antitheft wheel lock nuts (993-361-057-00)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:25 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Antitheft wheel lock nuts (993-361-057-00)

Hi everyone,

My car has 993 type anti theft wheel lock nuts (Part # 993-361-057-00) for which the removal tool has been lost.

(This is the type that comes with a special socket that fits on the wheel nuts, not the ones with the cap and a key you insert)

Has anyone else had to remove these without the socket? And if so how did you do it?

I have contacted Porsche, etc. But they have been of little help. Their only advice is that if I bring the car down they may have one around. Unfortuneatly my car is not moveable right now. I was considering drilling down the center of the stud and then snapping off the lock nut that way?

Any Suggestions?

Thanx

Kirk
Old 10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, mcgard makes a removal tool that costs $100 BUT you can get one cheaper from SNAP ON..

www.snapon.com sells them ...just search.. I needed one to remove one on my VW, they come in 2 or 3 different sizes.. but be warned, you'll never get to reuse them.. they have this reverse grind up they do to attach and remove but you can't put them back on once you get them off
Old 10-04-2005, 05:05 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

here:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

or here:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

...sorry, it took me a while to find it...
Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Kirk,
Try the porsche service dept. they should have a full set of lock keys. They should be able to remove the locks for you. You can also order a new key from the service dept. or call mc guard directly (1-800-444-5847)to order a new key for 16 dollars. Hope this helps.
AL
Old 10-04-2005, 07:01 PM
shafo
Instructor

the Porsche wheel locks have a hollow top that will rip off with the snap on tool, leaving the actual lock (without a top) still in place.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you can get the keys anymore, or at least I couldn't (Ira Porsche). Have the dealer take them off and buy four non-locking ones instead.

Vic
95 C4
Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am waiting for one coming from Mcgard. You have to find the key number (I think from 1-33). Check everywhere in your car to find the original plastic bag that has the key number labeled on it. $16 shipped unless you want fast shipping.

Check this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=key
Old 10-05-2005, 01:47 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanx for the input guys,

Here are the reasons why I am still screwed:

1. The car is at the time being immoveable. (ie: i have it ripped apart and I dont want to spend 3 days reassembling it to take it to porsche)

2. My car is a 964, and these locks were bought from porsche and installed by another shop. I dont have any of the original packaging or receipts from porsche. So I can't think of any way to figure out what the key number was. (Porsche apparently no longer sells the older keyed locks that were common on 944s etc. (Hence the reason I am poaching for help from you friendly 993 guys!))

3. I live in an area with very few porsches. There are only about 35 members in my local PCA. And not alot of people with 993s. My local porsche dealer says they have a couple keys. But they mostly deal with volkswagons, etc, etc, and if would just bring the car down....

4. I tried a similar tool to the snapon one on the weekend, and I can personally verify that the locking nuts really are hollow and they will happily snap off leaving the base.

5. My RUF speedline rims leave these lugs nuts well buried in a hole, so I can get any kind of a cutting tool near the offending lock nut.

Any other ideas out there? Anyway you could identify the right key by looking at the pattern on the lug nut on the of the wheels?

Thanx
Kirk
Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what you need is the pattern of the lock to show to the dealer. try using modelling clay or similar material (make sure none of it sticks to the lock) and press agains the lock to get an impression of the lock pattern. or take a photo and bring to the dealer. I would guess that for a fee and a deposit they may be willing to lend you the lock socket for a day.

good luck

Quick Reply: Antitheft wheel lock nuts (993-361-057-00)