Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Targa for sale in Massachusetts

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:58 PM
renn911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Monabaker you are absolutely right, I knew you are in the market and didn’t even think to call you! The owner has several interested parties and he expressed to me that the first one with the cash takes it. I’m having it looked at Friday morning and have right of first refusal until then. You are welcome to come with me to the inspection and if it works out and you are ready to pull the trigger it’s yours. That is assuming of course that Jay agrees. If you do not take it after a good PPI, I think I will?

Thanks all for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Renn, here's a question for you - why?

Seriously. I'm well aware of how a low mileage car for decent money can make you want it no matter what, but... ask yourself why you need it. Are you willing to drive a tip instead of the stick (with all the work being done on your car)? Are you looking to resell (I don't think there's ny room left over, especially after taxes. Is it Targa that's a must for you (I'd recommend a cab instead, but I'm biased)?

Just trying to provide counerpoint.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:36 AM
renn911
Instructor

Hi Mike – Great question; you are absolutely right I really don’t need another Porsche. But since you asked here’s a little more than you wanted to know about me I work in the technology field, but have degree in engineering and a passion for Porsche. I’ve made my way to a 993 after buying older 911’s driving them for a few years while fixing them up and selling them for a profit albeit usually a very small one. If this car is really a great deal and after fixing it up there is still some money to be made than I would consider buying the car. Assuming a few things; Monabaker, a buddy of mine in Gloucester, or any other Rennlister for that matter is not interested in the car in its current condition as a driver. I’ve heard all the advice offered and I agree I think the price is about right in its correct condition. I would take the car on as a project and make a decision as to which one to keep when it was finished. Ninety percent sure I will keep my blue car especially after all of the work being done, you are right again. Until I had to make that decision I would have a great time working on the car with my two children, what’s not to like For what it’s worth I wouldn’t tackle any thing crazy i.e. engine out or even targa stuff; I would want it to be worth something when I finished it.

As if my reply wasn’t long enough, I’ll pose a question to you. Assuming you enjoy working on cars; if you could buy this car, had the space for it, could enjoy working on it for a few months and than make even lets say $500 - $1000 all things considered would you buy the car?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:08 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Hey guys, don't write off the fun factor of the Tip so quickly. There is a concurrent thread on tips that is interesting to say the least. Especially if the new owner is in the Boston Metro area it might be a blessing. There was also an article in Pano not too long ago praising the track value of the well driven Tip.

Al
Old 10-06-2005, 12:16 PM
sleddog
Instructor

At 35k for a targa tip with some questions still open, you may want to seek an alternative. Dave Maynard in Framingham has 2 targa's for sale, one with 26k the otjher with 62k, both manual trasnsmissions. He has had the 62k one for a while so you could probably negotiate it down pretty well from the 39k. They appear to not have issues.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by renn911
For what it’s worth I wouldn’t tackle any thing crazy i.e. engine out or even targa stuff; I would want it to be worth something when I finished it.

As if my reply wasn’t long enough, I’ll pose a question to you. Assuming you enjoy working on cars; if you could buy this car, had the space for it, could enjoy working on it for a few months and than make even lets say $500 - $1000 all things considered would you buy the car?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Hi Paul, sounds like the car has a lot of (known) issues. When/if you resolve them you'll be lucky to break even. Unless I intended on keeping it, I'd pass.
There are some nice examples out there.
Good luck and keep us posted w/your decision.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by renn911
Ah, I absolutely would! I'm in the very same boat as you are. I've bought, driven for a few months and sold cars before. My biggest problem now is space, or lack thereof. A condo, 2 parking spots, and I already own 3 cars.

I even bough my 993 because it was way too cheap to pass up. I know that I can sell it and not lose money.

But the reason I asked the question is this - I do not believe that there's room in this particular car. If it was a non-993 you'd buy it as a toy, drive it and sell it. Even not making money would be OK for teh experience alone. But since it's a 993 and definitely no better than your own car...

What I'm saying is that after you pay$1500 in taxes and do the work needed, there's no room. But that's just one guy's opinion, and i haven't even seen teh car
Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
renn911
Instructor

I never got the car over for a PPI (had a morning meeting I couldn’t miss) and decided to pass on the Targa. After thinking about it I came to the conclusion that I didn’t want to tie up the cash because coming into the winter months I’m seeing cars like ours take a LONG time to sell.

The seller called me this morning and said he is trading it in tomorrow at a dealer if I don’t want it for $25K. Yikes, that makes it a much tougher decision.

Anyone else interested? Jay would need a commitment today.

What to do, what to do
Old 10-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $25K, I'd cement the Targa roof shut and have a slightly heavier coupe

Quick Reply: 1996 Targa for sale in Massachusetts