993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAI CEL Good News (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Chris Brown

Default SAI CEL Good News (sort of)

After chronic SAI CEL issues with my 60K mile '96, I removed the engine and trans (which needed a new clutch and apparently more work also). I removed the SAI valve and distribution block (easy once the power steering was removed) and the exhaust system. I also removed the "feed tubes" for the air supply to the cam tower and SAI distribution system. I then took a good look at the SAI holes in the exhaust ports. Expecting to find them clogged, I instead found that they looked clear. H'mmm. I put a funnel on the SAI input in the cam tower and poured in some brakleen. I got a very nice stream of cleaner from all three heads! Wow. So I tried the other side. Same circumstance. Whew! It appears that my SAI woes are elsewhere.

The feed tubes are clear, and I can blow thru the valve but it is rather restrictive. My guess is that the problem lies either with the value (likely) or the SAI air pump (a quick 12v test should resolve that).

Am I on the right track?

Cheers,

Chris

w/'96 Cab soon for sale
Old 10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

What were the codes that you were getting from the CEL?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:11 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - and there is also a "shutoff" valve upstream of the SAI check valve.

Although I didn't replace the shutoff valve, it might also be part of the problem. *And* there is a vacuum line that attaches to the back of this valve. You'll want to make sure it is attached.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Chris Brown

Since my anti-reversion valve seemed to flow poorly and was pretty rusty, I'm going to point the finger at that. I've already ordered a new one and I'll test the air pump and shutoff valve this evening "on the bench."

Quick Reply: SAI CEL Good News (sort of)