Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic delayed upshift

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:28 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Tip mainly beacuse of the amount of driving around town that I do, I borrowed a 964 manual and after a day of town driving I was totally fed up with it. As a second car or in a rural area with little traffic I would definitely buy a manual, but if, as I do, it takes you 1hour or so to cover 15 miles some mornings, then you would see my point.

Getting the TIP gearbox serviced (new trans fluid and filter) helps with the smoothness of gear changes a lot, I think that 50,000 miles is the usual interval for this.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! Glad to see the tip defenders uniting. Personally, I chose a tip b/c of daily commute; I get the feeling that some of the "purists" 6 speeders drive "other" cars to work every day and either track or wash their car every weekend. I'm a Porsche guy 7 days a week and since the sad reality is that I'm in traffic 5 of those 7 days the tip made perfect sense. I must admit I was concerned when first driving the tip in auto b/c it was horribly unresponsive, but for the last 2 1/2 years I've been all manual all the time and can't imagine a better driving experience. I truly consider my car a standard without a clutch pedal.

Aussie - I can't guarantee this, but I think if you manually downshift to 1st somewhere btw 5-10 mph (you'll have to do the kph conversion!) the computer will eventually learn to take you to 1st if/when you forget to shift on your own. Personally I downshift through my cars manually but on occassion I'm yapping on a phone, forget to downshift and the car is ready to go in first gear when the light turns green.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Great thread! Glad to see the tip defenders uniting. Personally, I chose a tip b/c of daily commute; I get the feeling that some of the "purists" 6 speeders drive "other" cars to work every day and either track or wash their car every weekend. I'm a Porsche guy 7 days a week and since the sad reality is that I'm in traffic 5 of those 7 days the tip made perfect sense. I must admit I was concerned when first driving the tip in auto b/c it was horribly unresponsive, but for the last 2 1/2 years I've been all manual all the time and can't imagine a better driving experience. I truly consider my car a standard without a clutch pedal.

Aussie - I can't guarantee this, but I think if you manually downshift to 1st somewhere btw 5-10 mph (you'll have to do the kph conversion!) the computer will eventually learn to take you to 1st if/when you forget to shift on your own. Personally I downshift through my gears manually but on occassion I'm yapping on a phone, forget to downshift and the car is ready to go in first gear when the light turns green.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO -- gotta love those "6 speed purists" with their A/C, power steering, pwr windows, CD changers, pwr seats, pwr sunroofs, headlamp washers, ABS, etc. (guess what, if you've got all that in your car, you're kidding yourself if you think it's a sports car )
Old 10-03-2005, 03:20 PM
MPB993
Instructor

I've had a supercharged tip for about 4 years now. Pushes out about 310-320 to the wheels. No issues and 40k miles on this setup. I've attached a pdf file of a gtech run I've done to illustrate the gear change times. Makes me smile all the time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Performance.zip (63.8 KB, 45 views)
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (04-08-2023)
Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by thevenet
I couldn't have said it better. Mine is also a 7-day a week driver in Los Angeles. It took at least 2 months to get use to the tip and now I love it. I am also always in manual mode. I even went to a three-spoke wheel without the shift buttons. I prefer to shift the old fashion way. I also tended to hit the buttons by accident and down shift at inopportune times.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dan V
LMAO -- gotta love those "6 speed purists" with their A/C, power steering, pwr windows, CD changers, pwr seats, pwr sunroofs, headlamp washers, ABS, etc. (guess what, if you've got all that in your car, you're kidding yourself if you think it's a sports car )
Actually, some of us remove pwr seats, washers, cd changers, etc, from our cars because we believe they also don't fit the character of the car. But those things, while heavy and isolate you from driving, do not affect driving experience as dramatically as an automatic transmission. I am under no illusion that my 993 is anything other than a grand touring car (as delivered from the factory, that is) - but by removing the creature comforts and some minor mods, there is a great performance car underneath.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:51 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark.Budgen
... I've attached a pdf file of a gtech run I've done to illustrate the gear change times.
This is a great graph, thanks for posting it. I assume that the red is a stock 993 and the the initial run is your supercharged car.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:36 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Well then pcar964, maybe the difference is that we've all driven 6-speeds, or at least 5-speeds, but not everyone has driven, really driven, a tiptronic. It gets frustrating sometimes to have non-tip guys opine on threads that are clearly intended for tip drivers, especially if they are really only interested in ragging on us for driving cars with transmissions that they aren't familiar with. Would anyone suggest that F1 cars, with their paddle shifters are somehow not cool since they don't have floor shifters? I won't speak for all tiptronic owners, but I will say to all the haters: "open your mind, just a little".
Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 PM
MPB993
Instructor

fbfisher,

the black trace is a 996 turbo x50 with 450hp (slowish gear changes but still quicker than me to 100mph), mines the red trace (quick gear change slower 9.7s to 100mph) and the other trace is an M3 BMW SMG. And this was without taking my hands off the steering wheel. :-)

Cheers, Mark.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:30 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark, great stuff!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thevenet
Aussie - I can't guarantee this, but I think if you manually downshift to 1st somewhere btw 5-10 mph (you'll have to do the kph conversion!) the computer will eventually learn to take you to 1st if/when you forget to shift on your own. Personally I downshift through my cars manually but on occassion I'm yapping on a phone, forget to downshift and the car is ready to go in first gear when the light turns green.
Thanks Phil, I have been shifting to 1st when I get to a stand still. I'll try shifting down into 1st a little earlier and I'll let you know how it goes.

Alan
Old 10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I wait until I am stopped before shifting to first, unless I'm downshifting into a turn.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I going to start a new thread because I am curious....how many who shift manually use the steering wheel verse the floor shifter? I personally don't like the steering wheel shifter. I even got rid of the standard tip steering wheel and put in a wheel without the buttons. One of my problems with the steering wheel shifter is I would occasionally hit the buttons by accident at high speed and shoots my RPM's sky high.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:01 PM
thevenet
Advanced

I'm definitely a floor shifter. Once, after driving for a while in a different car with radio controls on the steering wheel, I attempted to raise the volume on my radio by upshifting!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic delayed upshift