Sponsored by:

Need help in So Cal area to look at a 993 - BIG PROBLEM NOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:56 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
As long as the title was NEVER assigned to him (the guy who's selling) on the back of the title , it's not a problem. I remember not too long ago, a Rennlister who had the title of his 993 signed over to him on the back, but he never registered the car, presumably to avoid paying sales tax. He then resold the car and the poor guy who bought it ended up having to pay his sales tax AND the sellers sales tax from the previously "unrecorded" transaction when he went to register it with that title at the DMV...
I remember that...forgot if the seller wound up doing the right thing and rectifying.

IMO Matt is spot on...It depends on how the title was signed over...if the new sellers name is on there then someone owes sales tax on the sale. If it's just signed over with no date or name of buyer, then you may be able to get the title transferred in your name and just pay sales tax once. If this is a deal breaker then consider puttiing part of the money in escrow in case there is a second sales tax hit...if the seller thinks its not an issue then he shoudl be ok with it.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I think I have a clearer picture of the situation now.

As for buying from a rennlist member, that would be optimal. However my budget is such that I think I'm going to have to take a chance on elsewhere. To reiterate, I would like a 6-speed coupe for under $35K, and the closer to $30K the better. Which means as much as I would love to own a 993TT or S, it isn't in the cards.

Scott
Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott:

Is the seller willing to give you the VIN from the car? If so, you can have DMV provide name and address of previous owner.

Don't rely on a pink slip with no new name filled in, but the back signed off by the previous owner. You have no way of knowing if the previous owner filed a release of liability with the DMV. All sellers are required to do this within a short period of time, to release themselves from liability, should the vehicle be involved in an accident, or acquire parking tickets. If this was done, and the name on the release of liability as the new owner does not match the name of the person applying for new title, you will have to explain why.

You also need to make sure there are no outstanding issues with regard to delinquint registration. If there are outstanding tickets with the previous owner, or late registration fees due, you will need to pay all of these before title will issue in your name (ask me how I know )

If this guy really does this for a living, have him give you three referrals of people he recently sold cars to. If he hesitates, or won't do it, walk away.

Good luck.
Michael
Old 09-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott:

There is a nice green coupe on Autotrader in the Sierra Foothills and this car:

1995 PORSCHE 993, silver, 45k miles, pwr seats, $2000 stere sys, great cond, $29,000 obo, 714-920-6260

Don't get discouraged. There are a lot of cars to look at.

Michael

Last edited by Michael_Philippi; 09-30-2005 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I should really learn to type!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:36 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Scott, if the original car falls through and you need someone to look at the silver1995 listed above, please advise.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Scott,

Move on from the car. It looked good but it sounds like the guy selling it is trying to cut some corners and you may get burned.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers,

David
Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the seller to the DMV and have title transferred to you while the seller is standing at the window with you. If there is going to be a problem, it will happen then - otherwise - there is no problem. Lots of people flip cars for profit, just like they flip houses for profit. This guy has all the records, a recent PPI and the car seems clean. You can get your own PPI to confirm the condition of the car. Why deprive yourself of a car you want just because the guy saved himself (and you) the expense (which would have been passed on to you as a cost of him doing business) and trouble of re-registering the car. AFAIK this is concern is a non-issue if the DMV will let you buy and register the car.

Quick Reply: Need help in So Cal area to look at a 993 - BIG PROBLEM NOW