993 Forum 1995-1998

Buying 96 out of state in TX - autocheck showed emissions failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buying 96 out of state in TX - autocheck showed emissions failure

Im supposed to travel to Houston next weekend to purchase a nice 993 Cab which I will drive back to CA.

I had the car PPI'd by ProTechnik in Houston and it came up clean. Sam said that the emissions were "great" and no codes showed up on the car.

The Car Fax showed no emissions issues, no mileage issues, no accidents etc.

So the deal was set...

Today, out of curiosity...I ran an AutoCheck (different company than CarFax). and found that this car failed emmission in 2002 in Texas. Since this failure only 900 miles have been put on the car in 3 years.

Obviously this is a cause for concern. Questions:

1. Am I crazy for thinking of purchasing an out of state 993 with apparent emmissions history?

2. Could the codes have been reset for which Protechnik missed them?

3. Even if the CEL/SAI issue comes up on the drive home (im familiar with the technical reasons for it)...can I get a CA Smog Referree to pass the car?

I was really getting excited about this car...but now not sure if its worth it...
Old 09-26-2005, 12:08 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonic, I'm not able to answer your questions concerning emission's testing in CA but I would be very concerned about a car only covering 900 miles in 3 years. I drive my car very little (unfortunately; because of work) and I put on at least a thousand a year. Does this car have a story behind the lack of use ? Do you mind if I ask where you are buying it from ?? Sam has a pretty good rep here in Houston but I guess someone could have reset the codes before taking it over to him. There are a couple of unscrupulous dealers here, I hope your not dealing with one of them !
Old 09-26-2005, 12:11 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smog testing is relatively new in Texas, especially in Houston, that fail test might not be a product of the car, but rather the tester, 2002 was around the time they implemented the stricter standards for Houston and the testers had a steep learning curve. Just FYI.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

dp2boy... It is a car from Louisiana originally that has spent most of its past years in Texas.

The Car Fax is accurate to the mileage stated on the service records...when crossreferenced by date.

Sam at Protechnik liked the car. He said that it ran great, clutch felt great. Leakdown came in with all cylinders between 1 and 2% each. The girl at the shop Julie, said that it was one of the nicest 993s that they have had come in there in awhile. According to them, there are just a few minor cosmetic issues with it...

I asked the dealer last week why it hadnt been driven much. The dealer said that the last owner used to work there in the service dept. but he hadnt driven the car much lately.

Last edited by Sonic dB; 09-26-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:23 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

There are a lot of nice cars out there, and given the potential issues w/California smog unless you are getting a smokin deal or it is a rare color (i.e. Vesuvius) I would consider continue looking if I were you. I think the 900 miles in 3 years is worrisome, in addition to the potential that the CEL was cleared prior to PPI (I think it takes 200-250 miles before it comes on again). Nice cabs are not that hard to find, vs say nice TT's or C2S's.

If you are set on buying the car, alternatively you could negotiate a two part price, with the second part held in escrow and release of funds contingent on the car passing Calif smog w/o a waiver. (FYI Not sure what the rule is in Texas but IIRC in Calif it is the seller's responsibility that the car passes smog). Good luck with your purchase.

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:00 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic dB
2. Could the codes have been reset for which Protechnik missed them?
definitely and probably and most likely and ...

I was really getting excited about this car...but now not sure if its worth it...
Have the seller check that all OBD2 readyiness codes are set and then have them run the auxiliary air pump relay with a Bosch hammer or PST2/PIWIS. When you activate the SAI pump relay you can also watch the oxygen sensor regulation and sensor voltage which will tell you if the ports are clogged or if the check valve is not working properly. The only other option is to pull the heat exchangers and visually look at the sai ports.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:35 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Thanks for the advice guys... Jason Im not sure what the Bosch hammer or PsT2/PIWIS is...are those items that a P Dealer will have?

David, I like the idea about the Smog waiver, I will address that with them. The price of the car for the mileage and condition is a good deal below what similar cars are selling for in CA and otherwise...which is one of the reasons for my interest. Obviously I have more detective work to do on this one. Keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate them!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Also... I have to ask for those in CA: If the car CEL goes on and if it fails smog when I get it here in CA... what can be done for it to pass smog? Should I just take it directly to a Smog Referree?

Im not sure I understand the way that CA smog works...what happens if you fail?

Here is why I like the car... BTW..I own an 86 Carrera Cab that I am retiring...

Old 09-26-2005, 03:02 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I really don't think smog is going to be an issue. If they don't pass smog, there are two possibilities: the "readiness" codes are not set (referee will waive it), or there is a serious issue (bad O2 sensor, defective cat, etc). If it passed smog in Texas, chances are slim it won't pass here. If you trust the shop that did the PPI, go for it. Great looking car!

<edit>: If the CEL comes on, you'll have to correct the condition that's causing the CEL in order to pass smog.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:58 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

For example, in the last two years, my car only got a few hundred miles.. Why? Because I decided to go back to grad school. Even though my Pcar isn't worth nearly as much as my daily driver, I did not want to drive it to school.. It's the old "PORSCHE" thing.... You know, wanting to keep a low profile. And because I was in school 8 days a week, 25 hrs a day (you get the point !) The car got little mileage..

With CA smog, if you have any problems what so ever, a smog referee will pass the car (assuming there is nothing wrong with it besides a stupid OBDII read problem.)

My car failed smog, I later found out something stupid was not reconnected on the air box vacume or something like that. It wasn't effecting the car, just the OBDII.

So if all that is wrong with the car is a failed smog at some point, I say pull the trigger.

Good luck.
B
Old 09-26-2005, 01:50 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I'd be nervous... but then again I got burned. It might give you peace of mind to spend a few hundred $s more and have your PPI shop pull the valve cover and check the play in the exhaust valves... if it's a good shop, they should be able to determine if the guides are worn beyond what they should be.

Keep in mind, the CEL/SAI/emissions issue is not nearly as severe if not tied to worn valve guides... you can try a flush or some other method to clear your ports. But if your guides are inordinately worn you're looking at a new top end in the near future (not cheap!).
Old 09-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Hello Everyone,

I need to revive this thread to ask a question:

What specific 993 related issues are there to worry about with a car that has only been driven 900 miles in the past 3 years? worn valve guides?

Also... if I do buy the car and drive it home 1500 miles to LA across the desert, what supplies would you carry with you? I purchased a spare 993 DME relay already...thanks in advance.

Sonic

The PPI came out clean.... Here is the Auto Check.

07/07/1999 HOUSTON, TX 21,055 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
04/03/2000 HOUSTON, TX Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
10/30/2000 HOUSTON, TX 26,236 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
04/06/2001 HOUSTON, TX Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
08/14/2002 HOUSTON, TX Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
08/19/2002 TX 31,071 Independent Emission Source FAILED EMISSION INSPECTION
07/08/2004 HOUSTON, TX Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Car currently is supposed to have 31990 on it today, 3 years later.

The dealer says that the PO had several cars and never drove the 993... He claims that the PO used to work for the dealer in the service dept.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

The dealer said that it recently passed Texas smog because he had to get it smogged before he could put it for sale. He says that he has the paperwork on this..

30K service was done. Wiring Harness and Top recalls were done. I just want to be sure that Im doing the right thing here...thanks!

Here are more pics:

Old 09-28-2005, 02:46 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The car looks great. BTW, also take a peek at the car that Garychios is selling. It is loaded with great options. In the long run, Gary's car is the better buy.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

[QUOTE=Sonic dB]The dealer said that it recently passed Texas smog because he had to get it smogged before he could put it for sale. He says that he has the paperwork on this..

30K service was done. Wiring Harness and Top recalls were done. I just want to be sure that Im doing the right thing here...thanks!

WOW!!!!!!!........That may be the best looking cab I have ever seen!!!!!!....

Last edited by Fill; 09-28-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying 96 out of state in TX - autocheck showed emissions failure