Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suppose your name was drawn for the right to purchase a 997 Club Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Suppose your name was drawn for the right to purchase a 997 Club Coupe?

Would you buy it?

There are 49 of them, will they be valuable?

Do you think it would be a good investment?

Would you flip it right away to make a quick killing?

Is it worth hanging on to for long term appreciation?

Will they be hot on e-bay for 3 months, and then the
bottom fall out of the market?

How much do you think guys will pay for one on the
resale market.

Is the only downside possible depreciation similar to
any other 997?

And no, my name wasn't drawn... Just curious.

TIA
Old 09-21-2005, 11:05 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

But Mike,

How much would that be to buy it in the first place if one's name is drawn?

Thanks.

CP
Old 09-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had the money for one of those, I'd buy it . . . I don't think depreciation or investment value would make any difference to me . . . but then again . . . maybe I'm weird.

Scott
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

I would not buy it to keep, as I don't really like the color.

I would not buy it to flip, as I am not confident the premium you could extract would cover the sales tax and insurance you would need to pay until you sold it. As every state seems to have different rules about when you pay the sales tax (at purchase or upon registration), YMMV.

Now if I won one, OTOH, I don't know what I'd do. Sell the 993 to cover the income taxes on the new prize, or sell the 997 to cover the taxes and spend the rest on goodies for the 993-LWF and RS clutch, short ratio gearbox w/steel syncros, lightweight forged wheels, lightweight seats and rear seat-delete, RS door panels, 3.8L, RS wing, etc? Well, I guess I do know what I'd do!!

Jason
Old 09-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

CP

I think the sticker is $99,911.00

It's loaded, but ceramic brakes are an option.

I don't think the dealers are being allowed to gouge or put a surcharge on them.

That would be a collossal pr blunder

100 grand and tax.

Would ya buy it and flip it, keep it as an investment, track the **** out of it?...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:08 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

A local PCA member did win the right to order one of these 997's. Sticker (base) is $99k and change and does come nicely equipped. She did place the order and added a few options, for which I am not sure exactly what particular options. No delivery date as of yet.

I do like the color, myself. I feel they will retain collector status for some time. At least until Porsche offers the same colors for -normal- 997's.

To flip it, one would, more than likely, have to cover sales tax and plates to at least break even.

Given the chance, I am not sure what I would do. These offers dont come along that often, but on the other hand, I would hate to get stuck with it and the out of pocket expenses. Tough call..
Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Lots of people track $100k+ GT3s so the price is not outrageous. What boggles my mind is tracking CGTs and Enzos (people do that).

I can't imagine what to say to the wife if I balled one of those up.

CP
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I did not win the opportunity, but I wanted to. And then a guy who was picked was willing to work with me on buying "his" car.

I busily went work researching what the future worth of this car would be. It was decided by talking to both Steve Weiner and Bruce Anderson that the car "might" be worth 10-20% more than a similarly equipped 997S. They did not put much value on the unique color and interior plaque. They saw no immediate investment gains.

I was considering the car, but mostly because I thought it would be fun to own for a couple of years, then flip for what I paid for it ... or more. I think I was unrealistic. Additionally, I would have to have sold my 993 and E55. Then I would not have a daily driver, yada, yada.

I passed and feel good about my decision.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PR stunt by Porsche, trying to pass these off as enthusiast track cars. Sorry, but a heavy, wet sump, "can't turn off" traction control, gussied-up grand touring car doesn't cut it. So what makes it special, the little plaque on the dash (or wherever they put it)?? If this costs more than a similarly optioned 997S just because of the color or a dash plaque, it's a waste of money. I wonder how collectible the "millenium edition" 911s are today...

Hey Porsche, YOU ALREADY MAKE AN ENTHUSIAST TRACK CAR, IT'S CALLED THE GT3!!

Anyway, I kind of like the color
Old 09-22-2005, 02:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb Buy the damn car...

I take it you are talking about the 997 GT3/Cup Car, street legal. It has got to be a brute...pay $100,000 + tax. Keep it for a year or two, or three, or four. When it comes time to sell, because it will be a rare car, your net cost should be pretty low. If it depreciated 20% over 3 years ...I'd be surprised. That would be $20,000...when we are really honest with our spouses, it costs nearly $30,000 to get a 993 competitive and ready for the track...for DE and Time Trial....racing costs more with possible fuels cell, roll cage, etc.

Suspension to include coilovers, adjustablke sway bars, monoballs and a trick alignment: $5,500
993RS Aero Package, or 993 RS CS aero package: $2,000 + prep/paint and install,
Good seats: $2,000
Additional Oil Cooler: $1,500
Trick LSD such as Guard or Porsche Motorsports: $4,000, cheaper if the LSD and the tranny rebuild are done at the same time,
RS LWF and clutch: $2,500
Close ration gears, steel synchros and shifter rod: $8,000
DAS-sport bar: $1,000
Belts: $600
RS Motormounts and tranny Mount: $700
RS shifter rod and short shift kit $500
Sport Mufflers: $1,000

As I add the above up in my noggin...it is getting close to $30,000...and when you sell the car, you never get the "investment" back.

Buy the 997 GT3, track the heck out of it...don't crash it! Note, with modern OBD, the dealer knows how many times you have red lined the motor...they could void your warranty for abuse. Now I must digress.....

Now that the possibility of getting a GT3 car has come up, and as I think big picture, hmmmmmmmmm, what if I can find someone to buy my 993 car at a solid price...maybe I'll be in the market for a GT3 car?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin,
Please take the prices down. Edit your post. Some of us do not need to see cost figures......
Old 09-22-2005, 04:07 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

I understand the suggestion to buy the car, I just can't help but remember when my dad in 1989 set his sights on a Speedster.
- I know we are talking about two different animals. A street race car and a ??? speedster ??? - but still he took a bath on it.

Cars are bad investments, end of story.. (unless your a car dealer !)

Get it if you want it. Don't get it to flip and make some $$$..
Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the marketing ploy you're referring to?
$100k plus? I have this uncontrollable urge to reach for an appropriate P.T. Barnum or H.L. Mencken quote...[IMG]
Attached Images  

Last edited by Davies; 09-22-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I take it you are talking about the 997 GT3/Cup Car, street legal. It has got to be a brute...pay $100,000 + tax.
Martin, the car being discussed is the PCA Club Car. They made 50 limited edition 997S cars for the PCA. You could enter a lottery to be able to buy one.

It has some nice equipment standard, the new X51 package, and a unique color. Nothing else. A street car. NOT a Cup car.

That is why I decided not to buy, nothing all that special as far as collectability goes. However, it is different than the 996 40th Anniversary car... they made something like 2,000 of those and only 50 PCA cars.

Last edited by Texas993; 09-22-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the key thing to understand here is this is a street car. It is not a GT3. Porsche has changed the quality of parts (not performance) on these new street cars. It is not the same car as the upcoming 997 GT3 or the 996 GT3 in terms of parts (engine, tranny, suspension, etc).

So if you were to buy such a car, you would be buying it strictly because you "think" it will be valuable because there are so few made. I have noticed over the years other "anniversary" models coming from Porsche. None of those seem to really have any superior value these days. Not even the limited production turbo's have any superior value as they once did.....volume has taken care of that.

So the question is would you buy this car if the opportunity arose. It depends upon what you want to do with it. If you want to unique street car to drive, go for it, if you think you are going to make money on, probably not, if you are going to track the car in DE's, skip buying it and buy something like a GT3 variant.

BTW, there is a long thread on the www.pscasdr.org forum about this topic because one of our local members here has been given that opportunity to buy one. He skipped it and bought a used 996 GT3.

Quick Reply: Suppose your name was drawn for the right to purchase a 997 Club Coupe?