Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience With HID Kits From XenonDepot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:34 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the factory Litronics are legal. They don't require any cutting or drilling. And IIRC they are no longer in production. So the supply is very limited.
So would I pay 3k for a set? Uhhhh no.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:45 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leland
Part of the difference is the "Porsche" name & part is due to higher quality & higher cost components, as well as added parts. Even when they were in abundant supply, the Litronics kits were expensive.

OEM Litronics consists of new headlight assemblies, name brand (Philips/Hella), German made ballasts & igniters (vs. no names made in China), oem first line Philips D2S bulbs (vs. re-based H1 bulbs whose maker is no longer identifiable), Porsche wiring harnesses & mounting hardware.

Look at the # of Litronics failures reported on RL during the 7-10 yrs of the life of our cars vs. the aftermarket units in use for under 1 year. Sometimes paying more does buy higher quality. YMMV.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:39 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess it's: 1) limited availability of an 8 year old part that was expensive to begin with, and 2) it's a perfect fit & maintains the slide-out feature.

Overall, it sounds like *most* who did the conversion are happy with it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

-Eric
Old 09-23-2005, 03:21 PM
VerySideways
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI - the pictures on the xenondepot site are from my site (used with permission) after i bought a kit from them and installed it. Made some notes and a "basic" wiring diagram to show how i kept the slide out feature, and the easy ability to replace the HID bulb with a standard one in an emergency.
Here are the pictures from my site, of my 993 C2 (the Iris blue one featured heavily in Total 911 issue 2): http://www.verysideways.com/live/pages/hids.htm

Sorry, i would have piped up sooner but i tend to live on the 993tt board these days.

VS
Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VerySideways
Sorry, i would have piped up sooner but i tend to live on the 993tt board these days.

VS

You should slum it with us here at the lesser forums sometime As for the Xenondepot kits, Yey for Canada. Sorry, I rarely get the opportunity to say that.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:10 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time.. ), but how is the slide out feature retained? I see it can come out using the OEM retaining device, but the wiring does not run though the OEM connector... is that correct? If so, that means you need to disconnect wires before you can remove the headlight completely from the car?

I was hoping all wiring would run through the OEM connector.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Kelly, get with the program

I'll bet that with something like the Catz setup (seperate ballasts and ignitors) that we could retain the factory plug at the back of the light assembly but I have yet to find another source for the two-piece kits.

Man, there must be 300 threads out there on this whole HID topic alone. Are we all that night-blind?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

As Alon, says, lots written already on HID. I did the mod that allows me to slide the unit in and out as one piece. Took a few hours only telltale sign is the ballast in the trunk. Someone has written a pretty good DIY on this forum.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:07 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like we've beaten this sufficiently and that the product offered by XenonDepot is worthwhile.

Great input all - thanks!

-Eric
Old 09-23-2005, 06:24 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

If you are looking for a two piece (catz type) you can use a motorcycle set-up. HID-ONLINE.com offers a unit that uses a Panasonic ballast and a separate igniter.If you really want to drive yourself crazy you can spend some time on one of the HID forums!

Quick Reply: Any Experience With HID Kits From XenonDepot?