Sponsored by:

Big Reds revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:17 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Big Reds revisited

Well, after believing many posts about Big Reds being equal in stopping power to my humble stock brakes, I upgraded to Big Reds (with RS rears) because I was going through pads and rotors too fast. As background, I do about a dozen track events per year. I had tried Pagid Oranges, Pagid Blacks, and PF 97. I did my first track event at Road America with the new brakes, and I can say, unequivocaly, that Big Reds stop my 993 better than the stock brakes did. They are just plain stronger. I was able to modulate them better as well, and rarely got into ABS. They are phenomenal. I used Pagid Orange, F/R. Of course, I love the way they look, but if I had known how much better they would feel, I would have done this years ago.
As an aside, I have a friend who let me take his Carrera GT out for a session. Words are inadequate to describe the power of that beast. I have never experienced anything like it. I am pretty sure that if I owned one, I would kill myself in it. The limits are so incredibly high, and I would try to find them.
I have heard that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. It is most fun to drive a fast car fast.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck;

Did you change proportioning valves at all or did you literally just swap calipers and rebleed the system?

Curious as to what it takes to do the switch over effectively...

Eric
Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Lucky dog. I need friends like yours.

I agree with you about the big reds. I'm not having near the fading/ fluid issues this year since I upgraded. And I don't even have the better RS rears.

Sorry I haven't seen you at an event this year. Going to Grattan this weekend?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Maybe a stupid question exposing my ignorance, but will the "big red" brakes off a 997S fit on a 993? I have the opportunity to acquire a set for a reasonable price.

Thanks.
Michael
Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racer944
Chuck;

Did you change proportioning valves at all or did you literally just swap calipers and rebleed the system?

Curious as to what it takes to do the switch over effectively...

Eric
The only thing required are longer bolts for the calipers. The reason some people install RS rears is because dropping in the typical Big Reds results in a slightly increased bias to the front, which isn't enough of an issue for anyone (that I know of) to have changed the proportioning valve. The RS rears are a better match given our proportioning valves, but many people (like me) just drop in the 993TT/C4S Big Red kit and live with a little more front pad wear.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I didn't do anything other than switch pads, rotors and calipers, as Eric said. I never had fading issues with my "blacks", though. They could always lock up the wheels, so absolute strength isn't the issue.
I'm heading to Mont Tremblant, so I'll miss Grattan this time around, Eric. I'd like a ride in your new car.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:04 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck,

I, like you, put off the big red switch because of all the "it won't make a difference unless you really track your car hard" feedback I had read over and over on the board. I made the switch a few months ago and I totally agree with you... the brakes feel stronger and more sure than the stock brakes. More in reserve until the brakes feel overworked, too. Never a hint of fade now, where I used to get the feeling the stock brakes were starting to get taxed at the end of a 20min downhill canyon run.

Besides, you'll need the BRs now that you've gained all that HP with the fixed air funnel you just installed.

Enjoy... that's what it's all about anyway.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:12 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Kelly,
I'm certainly glad I did these upgrades in conjunction with one another. I got the stopping power just in time to handle the power increase...
By the way, I do notice a sound difference with the snorkle...or perhaps it is my imagination. Either way, I'm certainly glad to have it. I'll send a picture with the new brakes when I get them back from the event photographer. I decided to get some, since he said he'd throw in the ones of me driving the CGT. I hope the look of terror is not too evident.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:23 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

Damn, damn, damn..

That is exactly what I did not want to hear. My rotors are shot, my pads are shot, so, if I wanted to upgrade, the only big difference would be the calipers.

Should I just do the fronts?

Here's the thing, I have just recently put sooo much $$$$ in the car.. It seems like it's never going to end. But regardless, I do need to replace the brakes.. Should I spend the bit extra and just get the new red calipers for the front?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I may have to replace discs/pads fairly soon so am in the same situation. What is the extra cost that I would need to incur (I assume big reds use different discs?)? Are there any other options that I could consider for a non-tracked car? Should I even bother?

Cheers,

David
Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 AM
dhicks
Drifting

OK I am at rotor / pad change point also and was just going to do stock OEM's....I do not track the car at all and really I cannot afford to take the risk with my daily driver....so should I carry on as intended or do a big red RS upgrade....is this a GB waiting to happen???? What will the complete set liklely cost.....OEM rotors and pads plus other bits is close to $700 I think....4 rotors at apporx $100 each and pads at ????$200 complete???
Old 09-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Damn, damn, damn..

That is exactly what I did not want to hear. My rotors are shot, my pads are shot, so, if I wanted to upgrade, the only big difference would be the calipers.

Should I just do the fronts?

Here's the thing, I have just recently put sooo much $$$$ in the car.. It seems like it's never going to end. But regardless, I do need to replace the brakes.. Should I spend the bit extra and just get the new red calipers for the front?

Thanks.
Seth,

Whatever you do, don't do just fronts.

You'll be saving very little and with only fronts your brakes will be biased towards front even more (than with TT brakes).

Get "big reds" with RS rears. Remember, you can sell your "black" calibers and get some of the money back.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I see a pair of rear RS calipers for sale in the classifieds or was that on e-bay?

Hmm...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of our local gang picked up a great condition used set for around $850 last week - included sensor wires, pads, rotors, calipers - the whole schmeer. I got mine for $1520 and sold my stock brakes for $750, so that was $770 out of pocket for me. I didn't use longer bolts with the Big Reds. There are a lot of great deals on Big Reds out there if you shop around.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

If I didn't track my car double duty, I DEFINITELY wouldn't have done this mod. Remember that now rotors & pads will cost twice as much, in addition to the cost of the upgrade. Plus you're adding some unsprung weight (although I read somewhere it's not much). For street-only, it's really a waste of money IMHO. $1000 would be better spent on Supercups

Quick Reply: Big Reds revisited