993 door handle removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:59 PM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 door handle removal

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any details on how to remove the door handles on a 993? I need to replace the rubber gaskets between the handle and door skin as they have perished. I am assuming that you have to remove the inner door panel as well?

Any help appreciated before I start the job.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:06 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not quite sure this will help at all:

http://p-car.com/diy/ard/
Old 09-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Racer944
Racer

I believe "Excellence" magazine (or could be "911 and Porsche World") a few months back had a good how to article on this very subject althought the car in the article was a 968, but the door handles are the same. Perhaps someone here has the write up and can fax it to you...

Eric
Old 09-20-2005, 07:38 PM
pezza
Racer

Thanks for the info so far, I visited p-car.com and downloaded the DIY to remove the door panel, however it's a little unclear if you need to remove anything at the top of the panel, i.e the part with the flashing led etc etc.

I have removed a handle from my old 968 clubsport, I think the handles look the same but have a different part number and they are held in place with a large screw on the back of the door shut and a slot at the front of the handle, as far as I can see from the porsche PET parts exploded view it looks as if the 993 handle is bolted on from inside the door panel (front and rear of handle?)

Someone must of done this repair? Keep the tips coming otherwise I may have to tackle the job blind on Saturday.

thanks

Pezza
Old 09-24-2005, 06:34 PM
pezza
Racer

ok guys have done the job now, if anyone wants the info drop me a line.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 AM
pezza
Racer

Ok,

Here is how I done it as I have had several emails asking. It is pretty straight forward, infact easier than the 968.

Use the DIY step by step guide to remove the inner door panel mentioned in the post earlier, you do not need to remove the top section of the door panel (the part with the mirror switch and LED in.)

Then carefully peel back the plastic door membrane, try not to tear it, once this is peeled back, (you don't have to completely remove it, just give yourself enough room around the access panel.) you will be able to see the back of the door handle. It is secured with two nuts, sorry can't remember the size.

Before you undo the nuts, you need to remove the black plastic cover that goes over the lock mechanism, this is held in place by two small crosshead screws that you undo from the back of the door shut.

Once the cover has been removed you can access the two nuts, simply undo the two nuts and the whole handle will pull out with the lock mechanism attached. While you have the handle off grease up the moving parts, and clean around the mounting holes on the outer door skin, replace the rubber gaskets and refit. The job took about 45minutes.

Have fun!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the write-up Pezza. Add this one to my winter project list...
Old 05-18-2014, 11:21 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

oops... wrong forum

Quick Reply: 993 door handle removal