Sponsored by:

Rear drop link mount spinning on PSS9- help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:44 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
I am a ittle confused on your statement in the first post that the passenger side would loosen and the drivers side would tighten. That would mean you only drove on right handed turns. The sway bar links impart loads pushing and pulling on the mounts depending on right or left turns.
Bruce, true, the passenger side could theoretically loosen due to the sway bar pulling on it. However, I suspect it won't travel as far due to the geometry, but I could be wrong. I guess it's possible that the pull of the drop link could loosen it, then it gets retightened when the link pushes it at the next corner. A loose-tight-loose-tight repeating thing. I think this might be happening to me; this would explain my horrible understeer.

Ok, now I'll amend my suggestion above. On BOTH driver and passenger sides, you should use a locknut above and below the drop link mount. Now, I just need to figure out where to get 2 more locknuts!!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:10 PM
loden
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Now, I just need to figure out where to get 2 more locknuts!!
Maybe try Bilstein directly (East: 1-800-663-7573 or West 1-800-386-5900).
They got my droplinks to me in two days.

I think some of the guys could get small parts from Carnewal.

And I recall someone wrote that they got some lock rings from one of the big online suspension resalers (ie shox.com or somesuch).
Old 09-23-2005, 12:06 AM
911XTC
Advanced

A hammer and a punch worked for my car. 25K miles and still nice and tight. Knock wood...
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine cracked with less of 300 miles of use...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/195464-bilstein-hd-s-drop-down-link-collar-failure.html
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 PM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Default Get the rings

Hey Eric, I think we have met at Grattan b4. You gotta get the extra rings. My 993 RSCS did not have them for some reason and I was breaking rear drop links. now all fixed. Got'em from Bilstein about $60. Good Luck
C
Old 09-24-2005, 12:41 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Eric,
I tried everything, but only had luck with disassembling them, and getting the extra rings from Bilstein. I was really disappointed that they didn't recognize this at first. Since you'll need to re-align, I'd do them both at the same time.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Fastest928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a while, I was drilling, slotting and installing a bolt to turn them into a "pinch collar" and also continued to use the lock ring.

We found out that the bracket was weak to begin with, as it often would fail on its own, and in a few cases, the bracket failed where I drilled the added hole - stress concentrator. I used a 6mm bolt.

I suggest that you use either blue locktite or sleeve bonder and position correctly with a properly tightened lockring. The extra lockring is a great idea and probably the right solution.

Regards,
Old 09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc@DEVEK
The extra lockring is a great idea and probably the right solution.
Any way to let Bilstein know this so they would include it as part of the kit to begin with?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 AM
black993man
Advanced

Any way to let Bilstein know this so they would include it as part of the kit to begin with?
After having the spinning drop link problem myself back in April I called Bilstein tech support to request extra lock rings and they were all too familar with the problem and shipped me extra lock rings free of charge. While I was frustrated at having to tear apart my already aligned rear suspension again, I was pleased they were aware of the problem and sent the needed parts quickly enough. I'm surprised to hear they haven't rectified this in all new kits by now... would seem to save them the support call headaches too.

Using double lock rings seems the only good solution I've heard. Someone had suggested earlier to just run the mount down to the end of the threads and then tighten the lock ring on top of that. Nice thought, but the trouble is the orientation of the mount won't be what you need unless you get incredibly lucky.

Save yourself the trouble and don't bother installing w/o double lock rings in place!!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:00 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

As a follow-up, the Bilstein part number for the individual locking rings is 420926. They are about nine bucks and change each. They seem to not be giving them away gratis anymore....
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Jim Sorensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you have one of the early sets of PSS9s, they only have one lock ring. The improved sets have both double lock rings and the "hats" for the rear. I have tightened mine as much as possible and used Loctite Glue to hold them in place. No movement in 3 years of DE's.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:27 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

On a related topic, is the mount spinning issue something one is likely to see with HDs?

Or, would the drop link mount not be as prone to movement since it is loaded by the spring?

Last edited by User 4221; 10-08-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:14 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to file 1/8" off the sloping shoulder on underside of the drop link attachment castings to get the extra lock rings to ride smoothly. In my opinion, unless you wish to go lower than RS height, you should use the lower lockrings, ie one above, and one below. When the strut is installed, the lower lockring is really close to the rubber boot on the driveshaft, so check this clearance and if necessary adjust up a couple of threads, or file the lock ring.

Quick Reply: Rear drop link mount spinning on PSS9- help needed