Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to upgrade! 993 or Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:01 PM
dascar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to upgrade! 993 or Boxster S?

I'm looking to trade/sell my trusted 84 Carrera (3.2, coupe) for something more modern with still plenty of fun factor for days with the club at the track (and on weekend blasts into the mountains). I am debating between an 2000 Boxster S or perhaps a '96 coupe. Anybody out there been thru this dilemna? My wife likes the 84 but it's too rough and raw (I did tweak it for DEs with some mods). Budget is in the low 30's.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:12 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have not owned both, but i have driven both....and i think that this is the apples vs. oranges thing...

the boxter S is fun to drive...quick, open-top, very comfortable... apparently, others agree and find them also very enjoyable, because i saw about 16 of them today...which is about the number of them i see on any given day...

this is not to knock it as a fun and capable track car...however, if looking for something a bit less common and somewhere in-between your 3.2 and a modern day car, i think the 993 is the better choice...(what a surprise, a 993 owner endorsing a 993)
Old 09-18-2005, 09:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

With that budget, a nice Boxster can be had. Earlier this week, we purchased an 03 Boxster for wifey. I have to admit this thing is wonderful to drive. Its balance is quite neutral when compared to the 993. There is no substitute for the 993 for many reasons, most of which is outright build quality. I still wont give-up the 993, but the Boxster is quite nice to drive.

I feel the 993 is rewarding to track as it forces throttle and braking discipline. Many more will chime in here I am sure.

If you end up with a Boxster, make sure you get one with a warranty, preferably at least a 2000 model. We got lucky and found an 03, which is warmed over with a little more power, new front and rear bumper covers and a glass rear window and revalved S dampers and control arms. Also got a glove box
Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a 964 owner. I have driven a boxster but never have driven a 993. Although the boxster is fun, I would put your money into the 911. It will hold its value much better than a boxster. Besides, the 993 is the last of the original 911 before the water pumpers arrived. If you are like me and appreciate the air cooled cars, go for the 993.

My $0.02
Old 09-18-2005, 09:33 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dascar

I have been through this very delima while mulling over the same question... I just pulled the trigger on buying a 993 from another rennlister.

The Boxter is a fine car, if you haven't driven one, you should and then decide. I'm sure you might find a whole different perspective if you were to post your question on the Boxter board.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that it depends what you're looking for . . . for me . . . I'm not giving up my 993 any time in the long forseeable future. Now, Chris has got the best of both worlds . . . able to enjoy both . . . so I think his perspective would be highly relevant. I would definitely think you'd need to do even more research about what to look for in switching from an oil cooled 911 to the water cooled Boxster. Read, read, and read some more . . . Good luck with whatever you decidce.

Scott
Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 PM
dascar
Advanced

I suppose I should have added in my initial thread that I have driven two Boxster S's (both 2000s) and a 95, modded, 993. I was thinking the variocam in the 96 and on would be better (and better gas mileage) than a 95 plus it's a more modern engine. Honestly, I am at a crossroads here between the two cars. This is a really tough decision - it may come down to some less visceral factor such as reliability, long-term value or availability of replacement parts or even after-market parts. Oh, and by the way, I posted this exact post on the Boxster forum as well. Thanks for all your feedback - keep 'em coming!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking In my humble opinion....

.......both are fun cars...the Boxster S is probably easier to drive well...mid-engine and all. Getting a 993 ready for the track...if you consider lowering the car, ain't cheap, from M030 RoW set up to a PSS9 set up with 993RS sway bars...I feel a rambling ram ble coming on.

Then again, thinking back a few years, I had a lot of fun with my bone stock 993 with Kumho VictoRacer tires...yes it will have a little more body roll going around a corner, and it will porpise a bit on heavy acceleration and breaking...but it will handle like a demon without mod 1.

Just to cover yourself, just get the Boxster S with an extended warranty. Just before the warrant is up...sell it.

For me personally, it is 993 all the way. I want to be surrounded by cold rolled steel in a well constructed German made car. I like to drive fast on the Big wouldn't feel comfortable doing this in an open car, regardless of its built in roll bars...its just me. You may feel otherwise.

Don't let me rain on your parade...just get either car and have some fun. Move to Cali where we have track time available year round...paradise!

I had better take my meds...so her is another idea. Check out Mirage International You will see a number of really neat suspension mods for making a 86 Carrera a more modern car such as the ERP 935 front suspension components as well as the Bilstein RSR suspension which equates to coil overs all away around...NOW you can tune the suspension with springs and use light sway bars...what a concept! Add in SSIs, perhaps a chip, take out a little weight and you'll have a little rocketship. Just trying to help!

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-18-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

While I think you could be happy with both cars I would go with the 993. The 993 is at the top of the food chain for air cooled cars and it feels like it when you drive it. It also has unique stlying that gets compliments to years after the car was introduced. The Boxster S is great fun to drive and has a convertable top. It is a win / win situation.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Are you considering 993 cabs or coupes? If you're partial to coupes then the Boxster is out I'd say. What kind of use is the car for? Daily driver? Nice weather country road driving? Long commutes? Track work?

c
Old 09-19-2005, 01:41 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Really sure you want to sell your car? Looks like a very nice, classical Porsche to me. I like the Fuchs wheels...
Old 09-19-2005, 02:49 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Chris,

Now that you have a Boxster in your fold, may be you can share your thoughts on my question below.

You have great experience with racing and Porsches, I'd like your expert opinion on the Caymen. It is basically a Boxster coupe. I like that a lot. I like the mid-engine layout, the 2995# weight, the rigidity of a closed car (I'm not a fan of soft-top cars, and I don't like top-down motoring), and believe it or not, the huge amount of luggage space. My top priorities are: road feel/connectivity and cornering brilliance.

Since I don't track and this is basically my daily driver and/or long-distance road car, (the RUF will remain my weekend fun and high-adrenaline car) I'd like to hear your opinion on the Cayman. It may sound silly, but I can't bring myself to park my RUF everywhere.

In fact, since I don't need a blistering fast car, I can wait for the regular Caymen and not go with the Caymen S. The long term plan is a RUF conversion after 50k miles or so. Since it is a full engine swap at that time, I can swap the regular Cayman engine just as easily as the Caymen S.

Thanks for your education and enlightenment on this subject.

CP

Last edited by CP; 09-19-2005 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:49 AM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Having owned an '01 Boxster S and now a '96 C4S, I definitely have first-hand experience between the two. If I could, I would own both.

My Boxster S was equipped with ROW 030 suspension, aftermarket headers, exhaust, ECU and throttle body; it sounded, handled and performed beautifully. I loved the convertible top on sunny days and the heated seats on not-so-sunny days. Overall, it was simply a joy to drive.

The C4S I currently own is modestly equipped with RSR mufflers and an aftermarket ECU. I haven't modded the suspension yet so it doesn't handle nearly as well as my Boxster S did. However, I plan to install some PSS9's and sway bars which should fix that in no time. I think the sound and handling of a 993 is much more raw and visceral when compared to the Boxster S. It feels like the 993 takes more skill, effort and attention when pushing the envelope which is precisely why I find it much more exciting to drive.

Couple other factors to consider are:
1) Boxsters, including the S, do not held their value well over time; so be prepared for some major depreciation. 993 prices have been holding fairly steady and in some cases, even appreciating.
2) Boxsters, including the S, do not carry the same 'social' value as 993's if that type of thing matters to you at all.
3) Long term reliability seems to be in favor of the 993's.

If pushed to choose one over the other, I would unhesitatingly go with the 993; they're incredible cars. It's been well over a year now since I've made the switch and I've had absolutely no regrets; love every minute of driving.

Cheers,
Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went from a '84 Turbo Look to my '95 Carrera. Never considered the Boxster as I wanted a Coupe and some luggage space - also was concerned about the water pumper durability (this was back in '96; might be less of a problem on newer models).

Drive both and make up your own dumb mind. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:46 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are a "911 guy" like most of us, myself included, the Boxster will eventually bore you ... mine bored me after six months or so. It's a great car, comfortable, fun to drive ... but it's not nearly as visceral and engaging as a 993, particularly after a 3.2 Carrera ... my progression (had numerous 911s before) was 88 3.2 Carrera -> Boxster -> 95 Carrera 4.

Vic
95 C4

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade! 993 or Boxster S?