Sponsored by:

Targa Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:29 PM
sleddog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh,

I live in Bolton Mass and have had no issues. To be fair I store it from thanksgiving until april so it doesn't see snow or salt. Otherwise, I drive it most days. I bought it from someone in mass but it had real low mileage and wasn't out in the snow ever.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:09 PM
joon
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think as many targas are around vs cabs vs coupes with sunroofs, the percentage of issues are about similar. Just that there are not many targas and people are not familiar, hence the fear.

I have a '96 targa, and had minor issues, mainly with upholstery due to heat in Arizona. Mechanically, I say it is an engineering feat to see the entire panel of glass move down and slide back.

I'll only trade my targa for a 993 twin turbo.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

Siince I have the first one, I'd like to report that it has had no problems except slight leaking between the front and rear side windows when you hit it directly with a hose. (Cabs do this, too.) I love it, and the only thing I'd rather have is a six-speed Targa.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
skegler
Track Day

Default New owner - 96 Targa - Love it!

I'm throwing in my two cents. I am a first time Porsche owner, and have had my '96 targa for all of about two weeks. I love it. The roof works great, a little quirky, but works well.

I spent six months looking (and 20 years dreaming) for a Porsche and figuring out what I wanted. For me, the Targa with a six speed was the only choice. For some reason, I just love it. It's the fun of a convertible with a backseat of a coupe (I can fit two carseats back there and drive - I'm 6'6"), and without the wind buffeting you might expect (even at 100 mph!).

My roof may break someday, but that's OK. I'll just get it fixed. It's worth it.

Get it inspected and go for it.

Also - read lots of the entries about Targas and learn from the others on this forum. The knowledge is priceless.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:49 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_S
HI folks:

I again note that all the Targa fans seem to live in the sunny west or at least very temperate climes (BC). Would you anticipate more problems with the roof mechanism here in the frozen North?
i try to drive my car at least once a month in good winter conditions to keep it road-worthy. i have been out in as low as +15F temps and have operated the roof with no issues.
j.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Targa is a great choice, especially if you are going to be a frequent driver.

As already stated its the 'best of both worlds'.....open air but throw the roof closed in 15 seconds at 80 mph if its too cold, too hot or you get a phone call.

I only caution that if you LOVE convertibles it is different. Ive owned several and the Targa is close but different. But, I get waaay more use out of my Targa than I ever did out of my convertibles.

PS....never had any problems with the roof(have had the shade problems mentioned but rarely need it). I get the rails lubricated every time its in the shop just in case
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
sleddog
Instructor

check out the following link:
http://www.europeanlocators.com/

he is an honest and reputable guy and has 2 nice targa's for sale, one 6 speed and one five speed.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I had a Targa before my C2. The roof is a joy when open and pretty damn nice when closed. I also had concerns about the top when buying. unfortunately, I had a lemon (this was before I started listening to all the wise folks on this forum!!) so it was not a good example of the average targa. That being said, you should follow some common sense guidelines for the targa - most importantly - don't operate the top if the car is not level. Otherwise, have fun with it but don't be surprised if you get some squeaking on the track; the top will flex more than coupe will.

Quick Reply: Targa Reliability