Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door LED's are double blinking when the car is locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just noticed that my LEDs are double blinking, but only for a about 30 seconds when i first arm the alarm, and then they go to the regular pattern...is that the normal behavior?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:51 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

That's the "normal" behaviour of the alarm telling you something is not right!

The alarm will function on the circuits that it *can* sense before arming.

Questions to ask/investigate.

Is the glovebox open?
Do the engine hood and front trunk circuits work?
Has the radio been changed from the "factory model" and is the green wire isolated from the mounting frame/chassis ground?
Also, if you have the rear seat delete option, are the passenger compartment doors closed?

Those would trigger the "arm" period double flash (something isn't right) LED signals you see.

Clive.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:53 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i have the factory radio, so i can eliminate that one, and i don't have a rear seat delete.

i guess i will open and close all the glovebox, hood and trunk and see if that fixes it...
Old 09-24-2005, 02:02 AM
mborkow
Drifting

nope, that didn't fix it. any other ideas?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

My LEDs flash at about double speed when the doors are locked (I counted 22 flashes) continously and then settle on a single flash about every two seconds (don't hold me to exact times) this is normal.
But if a fault is detected, it settles on double flashes then the longer delay then a double flash continuing etc
Old 09-24-2005, 04:17 PM
aaronutk
Advanced

I have a '97 with the rear seat delete, which I have removed at least once. I don't remember there being anything that would trip the alarm in the deck or doors that I know of. It is only held in with two bolts to the outer seat belt points, with no wires in sight. Am I missing something?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:11 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

OK. Took some time to read up on this with the workshop manuals / diagnotic stuff and the Owners guide.

First the rear seat delete (option code 419) with an alarm capability is probably only for the Cabriolets (as coupes and targas already have a perimeter system called "the doors"...)

Next, the LED's will either - No flash, Slow flash, Fast flash or Double flash.

under these conditions:

1) No flash

= Doors are unlocked and system not armed
= A fault is detected during the Arm period (about 10 -15 secs?)

2) Slow flash

= Doors locked, alarm system is on

3) Fast Flash

= No fault condition is detected during the self check (Arming period - about 10-15 secs?)

4) Double flash

= System set by locking doors (with key!) three times in rapid succession (emergency lock when remote is dead?)
= A fault was detected during the self check (Arming time )
= The alarm was triggered at least once (should only see this when returning to vehicle! - hopefully never!!)

As said before the system checks (when arming) - the door switches (BOTH the lock microswitches and the pin switches in the body frame) - the front trunk - the engine bay - the glovebox - the radio (if you have an orignal) - and the rear seat delete (probably only Cabs).

If anyone of these is "open" (in the sense of not shut properly!) then the alarm will sense a fault and you should see no flashing for a while during arm, then double flashing of the LED's after about 10-15 secs.

NORMAL operation would be LED's flash (fast) for a short time while while system self checks (and arms) and then slow flash.

I had misread mkborows post at the top of this page - sorry (I saw "double" blink and mised the "normal" afterwards)..

Double blink is definite (two quick flashes in succession then a pause) and is the visual key that something is wrong.

Hope that helps folks...

Clive.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:05 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clive,

Thank you for reading the manuals and putting the meanings of the alarm flashes in plain English for all to understand. I've often wondered how to interpret the various flashes, what they meant and what is "normal". Your explanation is very easy to understand.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:59 AM
mborkow
Drifting

thanks for the data guys! i was wrong when i said my LEDs were double flashing. they are flashing fast for a brief amount of time, and then slowing (after 20-30 seconds) to a slower flash rate. so, i guess everything with my car was fine: a false alarm
Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
travanx
Pro

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but that alarm flash guide really helped me right now. My alarm went off in the parking lot at work after being parked for 3 hours. I first put my glove box light back into place, i dont think it can plug into anything. I also pulled my aftermarket radio out and saw the green wire and moved that over (maybe it was touching something). Now the lights on the alarm flash normal. Very very thankful!!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

grmnxtc: Viele dank. Grosse informationen!

Quick Reply: Door LED's are double blinking when the car is locked