Electricial problem??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 03:32 AM
jhardman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electricial problem??

Hi all,

Trying to figure out what's wrong...Sometimes when driving, the radio turns off then on. Sometimes this repeats over and over, other times it happens just once. Additionally, sometimes after a drive, the car's power seems to shut down (cannot alarm the car, lock doors; overhead light does not work; car will not start) From there I'll wait a bit (15 minutes or so), power is somehow restored and the car seems to be functioning fine. BTW, the engine has never cut out while driving.

FYI, about 6 months ago the alternator was replaced along with the wire harness and I always use the battery maintainer when not in use.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

john
Old 09-03-2005, 04:26 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, why was the harness changed?
Old 09-03-2005, 12:48 PM
jhardman
Intermediate

I replaced the battery (reversed the +/- terminals)...fried the harness. I now know the terminals are different sizes. I'll never make that mistake again...$$$.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 PM
NCDan
Track Day

It sounds to me as if you need to check the major Ground to the car's chassis. It could be lose or maybe a poor contact. Just my 2cents
Old 09-04-2005, 04:00 AM
jnor10
Instructor

On my previous Porsche (911SC), mine did as you described when the alternator was on its way south. My guess is the radio is very voltage specific, little tolerance for peaks or valleys, so to speak.
Having recently replaced the alternator , you should certainly consider other possibilities, buy I'd at least get a volt-ohm meter on your battery to see what its output is.

Good Luck,

Jeff N.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:07 AM
jhardman
Intermediate

NCDan,

I did a quick check. all looks tight. I'll redue the contacts to see if that makes a difference.

jnor10

I check the voltage. seems to be running 12.4. Im not sure if I was in the correct mode but I had the engine reved to 2k and the 12.4 was virtully unchange. Should I have expected this to run 13-14 range, if the alternator was good?

Another thought I was thinking about was a loose belt...

Thanks for your help!

john
Old 09-05-2005, 12:46 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhardman
I replaced the battery (reversed the +/- terminals)...fried the harness. I now know the terminals are different sizes. I'll never make that mistake again...$$$.
It won't be just the harness that was fried - I would not be surprised if the ECU and other electronics (gauges, radio, alarm, etc) were also partially damaged. I would try swapping the radio and the ECU and see if your problems persist.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:24 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I check the voltage. seems to be running 12.4. Im not sure if I was in the correct mode but I had the engine reved to 2k and the 12.4 was virtully unchange. Should I have expected this to run 13-14 range, if the alternator was good?

Another thought I was thinking about was a loose belt...
John,

The alternator should put out a voltage higher than the static battery voltage when you rev at 2k. Check the battery voltage w/ the car off. It should read about 12-13v. Start the car and rev it (2k should be good) and check the the voltage at the battery again. As you said, if you measure 12.4 w/ no change from the static voltage, I would suspect the alternator as being bad. (check your alt. belt first, though)

A bad alternator may not be your only problem, but it will at least be a start at fixing what's wrong.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 AM
jhardman
Intermediate

David,

Thanks for the leads. I did already replace the digital speedo. Where is a reliable place to pick up an ECU (can a used/reconditioned one be trusted?)

kkim,
thanks...the road to recovery continues...
Old 09-05-2005, 05:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... I did already replace the digital speedo. Where is a reliable place to pick up an ECU (can a used/reconditioned one be trusted?...
Even used ECUs are pricey so I would see if there is one nearby that you can swap temporarily for testing before making the $$$ commitment. Used/reconditioned ECUs are generally OK except you don't always know 100% if they have been reflashed/reprogrammed. Why did you replace the speedo - was it because of damage from the reverse polarity?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:04 PM
jhardman
Intermediate

yes, digital speedo replaced because of bonehead move. ecu was bench tested at the time harness was replaced - was OK then. would it be possible it's not OK now.

thanks for your help on this!

john

Quick Reply: Electricial problem??