Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Changed my broken rear spoiler wall tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:50 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by epj993
Try Sunset Porsche. They're cost + 15% + shipping, no sales tax.
Thanks Mo & Eric!

I'll call them tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:51 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TheOtherEric

I sent you a PM after your offer of your spoiler wall, but still haven't heard back. Is it still for sale? I would be happy to pay $50 plus shipping to the UK if it is still available.

Get back to me either way.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Darren,

You may also want to check Ebay as I bought a spoiler grill (to be colour-coded) for £25 and it came with the metal frame and the spoiler wall included! It's worth keeping your eyes peeled.

Cheers,

David
Old 01-21-2007, 03:30 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks David. I'll keep my eyes open!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i noticed that my spoiler wall was broken in two the other day as the plastic piece stuck out side the spoiler when in closed position.

after reserching the forum (what a great forum it is indeed. we should start a "wikipedia" verion of it) i noticed the discussions about snapping and liding the old piece out.

well, upon returning from an hour drive yesterday (about 60-70 MPH) i realized i lost my spoiler wall...??? so, this proves that it can snap off just by driving ?

I guess 50% of my work is done as I can just snap the new wall on? am I correct in my assumption or is there more to it.

tks!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default In a way it's easy, but...

[QUOTE=tjangi]i noticed that my spoiler wall was broken in two the other day as the plastic piece stuck out side the spoiler when in closed position.

after reserching the forum (what a great forum it is indeed. we should start a "wikipedia" verion of it) i noticed the discussions about snapping and liding the old piece out.

well, upon returning from an hour drive yesterday (about 60-70 MPH) i realized i lost my spoiler wall...??? so, this proves that it can snap off just by driving ?

I guess 50% of my work is done as I can just snap the new wall on? am I correct in my assumption or is there more to it.

tks![/QUOT

Research the job on line and on this Forum...
Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was split in two, you probably only lost one piece. So, you're 25% done.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I purchased a spoiler wall decal from http://www.928porsche.net/staticpages/229.htm about 6 weeks ago. In spite of the URL, they do have the correct decal for a 993 spoiler wall.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:01 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Finally got my new spoiler wall from pelican parts (USD 93). However I have no idea where to fasten the bottom part of the spoiler wall. There suppoesd to be a a piece that is slides into at the bottom (separate part) but I cannot find it. Could it be possible that it got torn out with the broken wall while driving? I also have a spoiler/spoiler wall diagram from Pelican Parts in the lnk below. Could anyone please confirm if part no 14 is the part that is mising?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0&Line_Item=15

Thank you very much!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by tjangi
Finally got my new spoiler wall from pelican parts (USD 93). However I have no idea where to fasten the bottom part of the spoiler wall. There suppoesd to be a a piece that is slides into at the bottom (separate part) but I cannot find it. Could it be possible that it got torn out with the broken wall while driving? I also have a spoiler/spoiler wall diagram from Pelican Parts in the lnk below. Could anyone please confirm if part no 14 is the part that is mising?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0&Line_Item=15

Thank you very much!!!
I just changed mine yesterday. Yes, part No. 14 is a rubber gasket that slides in the groove on the bottom of the spoiler wall. You need it. I would be more incline to think that if the spoiler wall was replaced before they failed to re-install it over it coming out while diving. However, if you drove some time with a broken wall I suppose it could have come out.

On the back of the spoiler there is a groove that is about 1/3 inch wide that runs the length of the spoiler wall. The bar on the spoiler assembly snaps into this groove. The rubber gasket your missing then takes up the gap between the spoiler wall and the car.

PM sent.

I bought mine through Sunset Porsche; $76.11 - $84.36 delivered.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just replaced mine today...Pelican's price is a little north of $90 - I imagine the worsening exchange rate has something to do with ithe higher price. The easier DIY shown on p-car.com worked like a champ. The ONLY time I was sorry for having a split grill, as it was a trick to maneuver the top of the wall in place between the gaps. Some L-R misalignment (maybe a 16th of an inch), but it works fine.

Next project up is to replace failing front hood struts...
Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Just did this myself. Required about 30 minutes for me, as I wasn't sure how much force to use, nor could I figure out where the "metal bar" for the lower attachment was.

Some clarifications I have:

- The rubber part on the bottom portion does nothing to affix the spoiler wall to the engine lid, it appears to be there to keep water from spilling into the engine bay. The EASIEST way to detach this rubber portion is to open the engine lid. Look on the under side, you'll see approximately 5 rubber "fingers" approximately 5 inches in length each. Simply peel these away from the metal engine lid.

What flummoxed me most was removing the lower portion of the old spoiler wall. Here's the critical thing: the spoiler wall attaches at the bottom to a simple metal bar. Detaching this is a matter of pulling towards the rear of the car. If you look at the bottom of new spoiler wall, you'll see three roughly "C" shaped parts: the bottom (facing down), a middle (facing to the interior of the engine bay, the opposite of the textured outside) and one facing up (towards the spoiler).

The bottom is used to slot the rubber portion I referenced above, and does nothing/very little to affix the wall to the car. It is the middle C bracket that keep the wall attached to the car when the spoiler rises. Pull to the rear of the car once you've flipped the rubber parts off the inside of the engine lid, and it should come away with a bit of tugging.

The top portion took me a few minutes as I wasn't sure how hard to pull but on reflection, feel free to use as much force as the purchase of your fingers will allow. Start at one end, as soon as you feel the end slipping off slightly, you're almost home.

Good luck! I agree, removing the spoiler or unscrewing bolts is completely unnecessary, even for a rank novice like me.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
baron95993
Pro

Nice work. Make you feel great when you do something like that. Sweet

Baron
Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 PM
tfm
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Replaced my spoiler wall in less than 10 minutes yesterday; I know the procedure pretty well by now but added this extra little trick I learned from my body shop: a little dish soap smeared along the edge of the channels will allow the top and bottom to snap in place with ease; this applies double to other areas of the the car that often need replacment ...especially stuff like replacing the windshield and rear window gaskets. I don't know how many 993s I've looked at that have rust beginning or delaminated glass in the corner where water hides under the gasket. A new gasket and some marine grease in these areas goes a long way toward averting disaster.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Just did this DIY, thought I would add that once you have the bottom piece removed from the metal bar, you can raise the engine deck lid and remove the rubber piece directly from the engine lid. ONce removed, you can easily slide the plastic piece from the rubber. Reinsert the rubber piece into the new plastic wall and the rest is cake.

Quick Reply: Changed my broken rear spoiler wall tonight.