LW Flywheel....Any regrets???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LW Flywheel....Any regrets???

I know everyone seems to love this mod but what are the real downsides. Does it buck at low speeds? Is the difference worth while on a AWD vs 2wd car? Is the noise that bad that if I ever sell the buyer will be scared away?

FWIW this is for my 993tt
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The gear rattle is really only at idle, with the gearstack unloaded. Downsides are potential stalling while coming to a stop, but this is primarily on OBD1 cars, so you'll be fine. The other downside is this is usually the first of many mods to come
Old 09-01-2005, 09:57 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Pretty deep in mods at this point. 550+ hp

I passed on the LWF when doing the clutch and I am regretting it somewhat. From recent articles I am considering going back into the tranny to replace the flywheel with the lightweight version.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:04 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
The gear rattle is really only at idle, with the gearstack unloaded. Downsides are potential stalling while coming to a stop, but this is primarily on OBD1 cars, so you'll be fine. The other downside is this is usually the first of many mods to come
Mine makes a little bit of noise rev'ing up in 1st and nd gears, but that's about it. I love it... noise is no big deal.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

One of the best mods (and I have a few) that I have done...if not the best. When I go from the 964 to the 993 it is night and day. So much esier to match revs. I like the chatter. Only hear it with clutch out at a stop light.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:54 PM
gst
Instructor

yes the chatter both at idle and below 3000rpm, some stalling issues at low rev both from starting off and coming down to a halt, otherwise its fine,
i am not too fond of the noise
Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 PM
renn911
Instructor

I’m a 993 newbie and haven’t begun down the slope yet; but for what its worth. I asked the very reputable and respected p-car shop owner who did my PPI about mods and he recommended against the LWF. To paraphrase his words ‘I have people that do the LWF mod and regret it afterwards mostly due to all the stalling’.

Just passing along what I heard; no first hand knowledge
Old 09-01-2005, 11:29 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Definately worth it.... A tweak here and there (thanks Vic! I just read your ISV reply in the other thread ) and it runs flawlessly. I don't have a stalling problem at all - and it's a daily driver through the year (Yes Virginia - I also drive it through snowstorms ) with track use as well.

Yes - there is some chatter at idle, but hardly noticible. I also coupled this with Steve Weiner's Chip a month or two after the LWF install - and the results are even more pronounced..

Just my $0.0002

HTH!

John
Old 09-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it in my car . . . go for it!

Scott
Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Gear rattle is no more noticeable than a 3.2 Carrera with the G-50, don't let that deter you. And you can get around the stalling issue, even if you don't have JohnD's talented hands helping you out.

I could not imagine putting the regular flywheel back in the car, it's a great upgrade for little $$$ if you need the clutch and flywheel anyway.

Vic
95 C4
Old 09-01-2005, 11:52 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I have a 97 car so the stalling issue is none issue except when I dont pick revs up on take off...and I find it more difficult to hold the car on a hill using the clutch. There is rattle at idle and you can hear you have a LFW on hard acc'l in 1st and 2nd..... now if I had the choice to make again knowing what I know now would I install a LFW or a DMFW........LFW every time....the increased livelyness is worth all the other issues......do it
Old 09-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

This is fast becoming the new "undertray on or off" discussion. Here's some more interesting opinions on the subject.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/224057-too-bad-marketing-hype-is-stressed-more-than-the-truth.html

c
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

My only regret is it did not come that way from the factory.
Does it buck at low speeds? Not once you get used to it. Redline comes on much faster, so it will buck if you are not ready. Give yourself an extra second before you take off behind that car in front of you when the light turns green. I would not get this if 100% of my driving was bumper to bumper commute.

Is the difference worth while on a AWD vs 2wd car? Same benefit as RWD.

Is the noise that bad that if I ever sell the buyer will be scared away? Depends which side of the performance/noise equation they sit. My wife does not like it, but she drives a V8 automatic luxo-cruiser.

FWIW this is for my 993tt. Then it will buck even harder, which is great.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:35 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will only have regrets if you don't do it.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking No bucking and no stalling ....

for me. Yes the unloaded gear set rattle is there but only at idle, in neutral of course. If you don't like it put the clutch in, the noise will go away. Having a 993 is not about noise at idle.

When I first looked at my 97 Carrera car on the lot, I thought there was something wrong with it. Blip the throttle...and it was slow to spin up...I bought it anyway. I think the 993 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made...and I loved the retro interior (Still do!).

I took it to the track and had no trouble blipping {Is there such a word?} the throttle for down shifts. Why did I change?

My dual mass was starting to come apart. It gave off a major mechanical clunk upon accelerating out of first gear. If I had to replace the flywheel...why repace it with something that could potentially come apart and fail again?

I went for the semi-lightened flywheel that ANDIAL sells. They take a RS flywheel and add in some weight. Thius was mostly for OBD I cars...and probably had no relevance for my OBD II car...but I was under the ANDIAL spell and went for it. Pete Wetzel, their former service advisor, could sell me anything. Damn was he good!

I have had the RS LWF and clutch in the car for 34,000 miles..it still works like a dream..yes, it rattles at stoplights...but its a manly rattle! Go for the RS LWF and clutch...it will put hair on your chest!

Quick Reply: LW Flywheel....Any regrets???