Sponsored by:

Latest mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest mods

Just got back from track days at Brand Hatch and Goodwood trying out my latest mods:

- engine upgrade consisting of 9m racing cams, full Cargraphic system (headers, cats, boxes) titanium value springs and full remap - giving 306HP and 281bft torque with a lovely flat (fat) curve from 3800 rpm to the red line (1995 non varioram car with over 80,000 miles on the clock!)

- LWF and clutch

- short shift

- RS transmission mount

- Stiff rear axle kit - replaces rear axle bushes with more solid items

All fitted by colin and his team at Ninemeister who performed an excellent job - really pleased with the quality of their work, advice and friendly service - first time I have used them.

Also I fitted Recaro SRD seats

The car is fantastic, really transformed, wall of torque, much more controllable rear end with the stiff axle kit and really spools up very quickly especially with all that torue and the LWF.

Also sounds truly awesome with the cargraphic system - lovely deep sound, so much better than the RSR's I had on before (more expensive I know but luckily i got the complete system at a low cost secondhand off ebay).

It excelled on the track and performed very well at both venues against much more exotic and expensive machinery.

Highlights of each day were pacing myself against 993 RS and 993 RS clubsport at brands hatch - and doing back to back comparison rides - many thanks John, really appreciated it, (still wish it was a genuine RS like yours, don't forget to call me when you sell it to get the GT2) and a session up against a very well driven 997 at Goodwood - massive fun and boy are the 997 S's quick, still kept in touch though!!!!

Glad i had stiff axle kit when the back end stepped out on St Marys (Goodwood)and I almost did a Stirling Moss before I caught the slide - the stiff axle kit makes the rear end very controllable

( i have already fitted Pss9's, RS a/r bars, front strut brace, RS engine mounts and had the suspension set to RS specs)

Very, very happy with my track orientated (ever so slightly) 993.

I must be at the bottom of the slippery slope now?

Colin was showing me a set of his trick heads, pistons and also the dyno charts of his 417hp clubsport - drool, drool - I had better start saving!!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
'95 993
Instructor

I forgot the big reds (TT front and RS rears) and also the michelin sport cups I am running on the car as well!

How much have I invested to date - I don't like to add it all up, but every penny has been great fun!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

nice!! Post some pics of the ride!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:44 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '95 993
I must be at the bottom of the slippery slope now?
I'm sure there is more slope to be slipped, though it does sound like you have yours very well greased!

Car sounds awesome... yes, pictures... please?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:56 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree . . . your car sounds awesome . . . dare I say . . . bad-***? Would love to see some pics too . . . if you get a chance.

Scott
Old 09-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottom is a never ending battle!!!!.....welcome to RL

what is this? - "Stiff rear axle kit - replaces rear axle bushes with more solid items" I have never heard of that?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Christer
Race Car

Yes....Colin has done a LOT of work on my car as well....and I also think its worth it ......
Old 09-01-2005, 06:09 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also curious about the stiff rear axle kit, never heard of it... I'm even more curious about the 9m cams and remap ecu, what would those two mods alone yeild in terms of power?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Phil, my guess is that those are RS arms with stiffer rubber bushings and/or a uniball suspension kit ala ERP. Some also replace all the bushings for stiffer plastic ones, but that usually leaves you with an uncomfortable ride as well as become noisy after a while. Maybe also RS engine mounts. A thicker (stiffer) rear anti-sway bar also perhaps.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:14 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe "stiff rear axle" was a misnomer - I was having visions of rubber drive shafts
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

cool mods! Glad to hear your car performs solidly. Post some pics, we all would love to see
Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Stiff rear axle kit is a replacement of the bushes where the rear suspension arms join to the body, basically it was explained to me that the OEM bushes have "give" in them which delivers the self steering effect, the replacement bushes are stiff and dial out some of the self steering and deliver a much more driver controlled ride.

This is exactly what it feels like when you drive it.

As regards the ride, I can only say it hasn't affected the harshness but it was pretty stiff anyway with PSS9's and RS anti roll bars and Michelin Sport cups.

Colin indicated that the feel is now the same as a 964RS but not having driven such a beast I can't comment!

BTW I originally asked colin for a complete ERP rear suspension make over (RS arms etc as detailed in an earlier post on this board) but he advised against it and said the suspension arm mounting bushes are the only components which needed to be changed - cheaper, limited harshness and most of the benefits!

I will try and post some pics over the weekend, and will take some pics of the rear bushes - these are the only areas changed when you look under the car.

The engine upgrade don't know which components are responsible for the power, but colin recommended the exhaust, remap and cams as a package.

He is dissapointed with the power output and feels it should be around 320 BHP.

He also feels that it may well be better with the original smaller bore headers, but given the complete system is Gillet fittings and the original is Bischoff I can't mix and match which would be the next step (and the route colin wants to go - but I supplied the exhaust system (Cargraphic fantastic quality and cheaper second hand) than Colins prefered 9m system he wanted to sell me!

I suspect you would get the power increase with just the cams and remap? maybe the high flow cats also help?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Just seen the following reply on the UK PCGB website (where I have a cross post) -

"Hi John,
Yes I agree, I think your 993 is probably one of the nicest performing C2 I have been in.On track it was very quick and complient and was more than a match for more modern machinery."

This from the 993 RS owner I took out for a ride and who kindly took me out in his RS for back to back comparison

(John- I hope you don't mind me posting your comments - very kind thank you)

BTW it is still not a 993 RS or even close, i wish I had the £50,000 - £60,000 that john's car is worth and he would sell it to me!!! - I am saving hard
Old 09-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds very cool!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

part #s and/or sources of bushings would be nice. I'm going through mine now, valve cover gaskets, tensioner feed line gaskets, steering rack brace, and a buch of electrical connectors have been replaced. Suspension bushes and control arms are next.

Quick Reply: Latest mods