Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75K mile motor refresh

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005 | 10:45 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Greg,

I'm going back 100% stock as this car is my daily driver. Saving my pennies for a track car sometime next spring hopefully.

EDIT: Except for aftermarket valve guides and adding the RUF auxiliary oil cooler.

Ben
Old 09-08-2005 | 11:02 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't think the crank mods are worth it either just curious. Have you asked the Ruf guys about coating the headers. Here is what I am talking about. http://www.jet-hot.com/pages/techinfo.html
Old 09-08-2005 | 11:06 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

I just did - if the process is not very expensive there doesn't seem to be much downside does there?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2005 | 11:10 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It makes sense to me. If you can get more heat out of the engine compartment the engine will last longer and maybe even make a few hp more.
Old 09-08-2005 | 11:13 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Now is the time to do it. Have you seen Rich Laurier's pictures of his coated headers and exhaust? Beautiful in addtion to the functional benefits.
Old 09-08-2005 | 11:20 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is a picture prior to installation.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...87&postcount=4
Old 09-08-2005 | 01:31 PM
24FPS
Drifting

ben~ again thank you for your informative posts & esp. these pics!. it's like lookin' @ a super model photographed in ways no one has seen her.

the coated headers are a great idea esp. w/ it's heat dis. benefits. w/ the car all apart can't imagine it costing too much more... & talk about beautiful.

btw: i'm very impressed you're controlling yourself & not letting ruf do more than the cooler & rebuild. btw: of what material are the new guides made out of? (sorry if his was already mentioned & i missed)

Old 09-08-2005 | 01:36 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

24 -

I don't have the proper metallurgical name for the material but was told that it is harder than the stock material and will last much longer.
Old 09-08-2005 | 03:55 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

OK -

Thanks for the tip on the ceramic coating guys - RUF has a local shop that does this as well as powder coating so I'm going to do shiny ceramic on the heat exchangers, cat, and mufflers - and I'm going to powder coat the fan shroud, fan, and pulley.

Can't decide on the color for the fan shroud, fan, and pulley. Obvious choices are black, red, silver, or I could do the same shiny ceramic as the exhaust components.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-08-2005 | 05:29 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Ben in Plano, TX
OK -

Thanks for the tip on the ceramic coating guys - RUF has a local shop that does this as well as powder coating so I'm going to do shiny ceramic on the heat exchangers, cat, and mufflers - and I'm going to powder coat the fan shroud, fan, and pulley.

Can't decide on the color for the fan shroud, fan, and pulley. Obvious choices are black, red, silver, or I could do the same shiny ceramic as the exhaust components.

What do you guys think?
I am partial to red since it will add a nice contrast to your engine bay... but Silver would be nice as well... again, something that would give a bit more color in a tasteful way.

On the pistons photos... is that normal carbon build up for these engines?? When I did the rebuild in my 951 is was no where near as what I saw in your photos... let me try to dig my photos...

And, btw, thank you!!! Great thread!
Old 09-08-2005 | 05:36 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Jaime,

The tech said the carbon buildup was bit heavy but not all that unusual for the air-cooled 3.6. I thought it was a lot too.

I'm leaning towards silver on the fan and shroud - I like a more understated look.
Old 09-08-2005 | 06:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Silver, would look good. Red is ok but shows dirt too easily.

If I can think of any more ideas to help boost your tab with the Ruf boys I will chime in again.
Old 09-08-2005 | 07:50 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Thanks for the pictures. Please post pictures of the heads after the rebuild (they will look like works of art).

Will you need oversize bearings for the crank or connecting rod? Are the journals still round? When I had my '74 2.7 rebuilt (lots of PO track use) the crank journals were .005" out of round, but that was with the soft Mg case.
Old 09-09-2005 | 09:40 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben in Plano, TX
Greg,

I'm going back 100% stock as this car is my daily driver. Saving my pennies for a track car sometime next spring hopefully.

EDIT: Except for aftermarket valve guides and adding the RUF auxiliary oil cooler.

Ben
Ben,

Does RUF recommend an auxiliary cooler for a street driven car?

What sort of track car are you looking to get?
Old 09-09-2005 | 11:24 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Kevin,

RUF recommends it in hot climates as one way to keep oil temps down and engine life long. In my experience the hottest oil temps I ever see including the track are when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic on 100 Degree days. When on the track you always have good air flow across the cooler so even though the engine is working harder the temps don't get that high.

Anyway - I'm doing it along with the ceramic coating on the exhaust components as part of an overall quest to reduce heat in the engine bay.

As for track car - I'm not quite sure but my budget is not really large so I'm thinking F-car either 84-86 911 or 944S2 - or if a deal comes along maybe and RSA set up for D.

Unless you know of a fire sale on a 993 set up for C

Ben

Quick Reply: 75K mile motor refresh