Sponsored by:

Odd oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Odd oil leak

My car has had a minor RMS leak since I bought it (discovered during the PPI). However it seems to come and go to some degree. Get this.... When the car gets a bit low on oil and I top it off (middle of dipstick) the oil leak seems to get a bit bigger. After several thousand miles and the oil gets about 3/4 of a quart low, the oil spot gets much smaller (quarter size) when left over night. I've started to notice the oil spot is bigger, when left for the same amount of time, after I fill the oil to capacity.

Am I just imagining things here? How could this be?

The leak doesn't bother me. Hell, I don't trust an air cooled motor that isn't leaking somewhere!

I'm saving my chickens for an RS LWF/clutch, chip, PS belt, slave cylinder, etc. and hope to drop the motor this winter (Steve, I'll be giving you a call) and will replace the seal then. I'm just wondering what could be causing the leak to get larger when I top off the oil.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Sean993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like my oil leak, I've had it for about a year now. Unfortunately mine was'nt the rms, turned out to be the crankcase seal right under the rms. Not saying your leak is the same, could be coming from a number of other areas.
I've searched on this board and I am surprised more people haven't had this leak.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks, Sean.

Did you just live with it? I'd be a little pissed if I find my case leaking. I figured it was most likely the RMS or the crank case breather hose on top of the case. But I''m stumpted as to why it gets worse when the oil level is dead on.

Quick Reply: Odd oil leak