Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you own B&B Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:09 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Default If you own B&B Mufflers

How is the sound? Too loud, not loud enough, just right.
Old 08-29-2005 | 03:13 PM
Prabha Gopinath
Track Day

I have a set of B&Bs on my 96 993/C4S. I only use the car as a daily driver - no track usage at all. They sound fine at idle - a nice rumble and throaty. They sound terrible between 2500 and 3000 where there is a very strong buzzy resonance. Above 3000 they again sound great. In wide open freeway driving you can match yoru revs without too much effort to avoid the resonance but in stop and go city driving and commuting it is very difficult to stay out of the <3000 rpm zone. The resonance is so strong that on a bad commute day I feel physically nauseous. Also, the sound level is high enough that listening to NPR or music is a challenge. I am going to be getting rid of mine and will be looking for Porsche Sport mufflers. My experience with B&Bs on my 964 was similar.

regards
Prabha
Old 08-29-2005 | 03:18 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I have an older set that came w/my MY94 cab - they are fine at idle and WOT, but otherwise they have too much resonance at cruising speeds.
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking No B&B for me and I don't mean Bed & Breakfast....

I concur with the following posted above, "They sound terrible between 2500 and 3000 where there is a very strong buzzy resonance."

A set of B&Bs came with the car when I purchased it...I thought they were an OEM product...I was a newby at the time. Shortly thereafter when washing the car and cleaning up the tips I saw the B&B moniker. I knew I did not like the resonance....so I got in touch with B&B. They said to send them back and implied that if they were defective, they would replace them...about a week later they got back to me with a BS story that one muffler was different than the other...although to the naked eye they were exactly the same. They would be unable to replace the mufflers...well now, isn't that nice.

In the meantime, I had discoverd Rennlist and the RSR mufflers. I convinced myself that the RSRs would be an improvement over the B&B....they were. No more pesky resonance..at the critical 2500 to 3000 range.

I sold off the B&Bs and have been very, very pleased with Robin Sun's RSR mufflers. I wouldn't put a set of B&Bs on if they were free. Bitter? No not really...I just don't appreciate a manufacturer that does not stand behind their products. We have been hearing (no pun intended) about the resonance problem with B&Bs for years...it is the perfect muffler for a deaf person!
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:30 PM
Prabha Gopinath
Track Day

To add to Martin's post. My B&B's came with the car. On my 964 I purchased a set of B&B mufflers and headers and had them installed. The dumbest thing I did. I called B&B about the resonance and they claimed that what I had were an older version and besides B&Bs were designed for track usage. I asked them if that was the case why they were being pitched and shown in non-track contexts. I will replace the ones I have as soon as I can get a set of Sport mufflers.

Prabha
Old 08-30-2005 | 03:04 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about B&B. Seems 100% bad feedback. Looks like RSR's are the way to go.
Old 08-30-2005 | 03:42 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about B&B. Seems 100% bad feedback. Looks like RSR's are the way to go.
(1) they seem to be well-constructed, and (2) they came free with my car
Old 08-30-2005 | 03:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking What we see here is confirmation of an old marketing ...

principle? A satisfied customer will tell two (2) maybe three (3) others about their excellent experience with a vendor. An unhappy customer will tell ten (10) or more people about their crappy experience.

As I said before (Note: I am displeased with the service I received from B&B), I wouldn't take a set of B&B mufflers for my 993 for free. They may have an improved product...I care not. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me. B&B isn't getting to me twice!
Old 08-30-2005 | 04:30 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

They are gone,too much resonance. Get Robin's RSR mufflers !
Old 08-30-2005 | 04:42 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

OK OK, I get the message...........RSR's it is.

& THX GUYS
Old 08-30-2005 | 05:00 PM
lowblow
Racer

OK, I'll be the sole voice. I purchased my car with B&B and FUC&$^* LOVE THEM!!

I Cannot understand why they get such bad reviews. I have had many people tell me how nice my car sounds and have never had anyone comment that they resonated too much.

I think that you should experience them for yourself before jumping on the "bash B&B bandwagon".

Mike
Old 09-01-2005 | 03:33 AM
DrZ
Racer

My car came with B&B headers and mufflers. Best mod I ever made was selling the mufflers and replacing them with stock. Too much of a hassle and expense to change the headers but I received a nasty surprise when a smog station here in OC, CA failed me on the visual inspection despite passing the tailpipe exam. More trouble than they are worth in my opinion. There is really nothing wrong with stock at least for a Cab.
Old 09-01-2005 | 09:10 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

My B&Bs came with with the car. They rub on the sway bar and make a HORRIBLE noise! I hate them! Can I send them to B&B and have them replaced? or refunded? They are peices of SH*T
ADAM
Old 09-01-2005 | 02:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Angry Can you return the B&Bs????

The question above,"Can I send them to B&B and have them replaced?"

Maybe you can, but it didn't work for me. I called and complained about the 2.800 to 3,000 RPM resonance; B&B said send them back...in the interim I already ordered a set of Robin Sun's RSR mufflers. That was an excellent move on my part. I hated those damn B&Bs.

About a week later B&B calls back with some **** and bull story that the respective mufflers were of a different vintage, one older than the other and as a result, they could not repair or replace them. Because the mufflers were purchased by the PO, I was not in a position to go after B&B....I just sold them off for $400, with the appropriate warning, to a fellow Rennlister. It was a cash deal...he is still probably looking for me.

I wouldn't take a set if they paid me. Am I bitter? Clearly I am but it is good to see I am not alone. Misery loves company!
Old 09-01-2005 | 08:14 PM
allang
Advanced

When I bought my car it jad already been outfitted with a B & B Exhaust. Right away I had intentions of replacing it with the Fabspeed Exhaust but am not sure if I'm going to. I do think that the exhaust can be a little much at times, but don't know how much better the Fabspeed Exhaust is going to be.

Also the tips line up horribly, I ended up having to modify the drivers side as it stuck out significantly more than the passenger side. Anyone have any input whether I should go for the Fabspeed or stick with what I got.

Quick Reply: If you own B&B Mufflers