Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:59 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I just looked in the parts catalog, and on the Pelican Parts website, and I don't find a PCV valve for the 993...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:58 AM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avenger 6 I live in Monterey also.I will not use the dealer to work on my car.I have a great independant Mechanic that has a little shop in Santa Cruz.He has almost 30 years of experience with these cars.Pm me and I will give you his #.I think the dealer screwed up and I can tell you a couple of stories about work that was done on my car there before I purchased it.Please don't ever mention my name as I buy alot of parts there and they know me well
Old 01-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The update is that I now have the oil level at full on the dipstick AND the guage, and there is no problem. So these jerky's screwed up, plain and simple. AND, the oil leak at the base of the oil filter mount has stopped. I just gave the nuts a little turn and all is good. AND, because of the 0-40 weight they put in at the dealer, the engine seems a bit moisier than before. I'll follow the recommendations here for 20-50 on the next fill (that I will do myself!!) You are right about staying away from the dealer for work. The parts guy is awesome and gives a great PCA discount, so I go see him all the time for stuff. It is just that the boys in back won't be touching the car again.

I can't wait to be at my next assignment where I will again have access to lifts and stuff at the "Auto Crafts Center." The one here is closed, so it is just a big PITA to do anything. I still have to remove and replace my rear bumper cover, and doing it at home, messing with jacks and jack stands and rolling around on the floor is gonna suck.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Great news, congrats on a "painless" fix to the oil leak! My engine is very happy with 15w-50 Mobil 1, every 5 - 7K miles, since new.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Let's have three cheers for Dealers!!! God I hate them...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:35 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

993's and dealers don't mix. Find an independant or DIY.
I bet it felt great when you realized that there was no problem with the car! Write a nice letter to Porsche Headquarters and let them know what happened. Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avenger6 -
Glad to hear you solved your problem and your car is good to go!

I second the idea to send a letter to Porsche NA highlighting the BS story they tried to get you to swallow to hide their incompetence. Thats outright dishonesty if the PCV valve is a bogus part.

This is just one more of SO MANY stories we have all heard about horrible experiences derived from dealer incompetence. If your lucky enough to have an independent shop near which can do good repair work, I don't see why ANY informed Porche owner would EVER go to the dealer except for parts.

I've had similar bad experiences with other car dealers (BMW, Caddillac).. In my opinion, good independent shops are not only for Porsches, but for ANY car.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak