Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bischoff / Gillet interchangeability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 AM
drmrfi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bischoff / Gillet interchangeability?

Searched the archives, but couldn´t find a definite answer...

My current mufflers are std Bischoff and I´m looking for factory motorsound ones.
Obviously Bischoff motorsounds should be a straight swap, but how about Gillet motorsounds?
I understand that the difference at the tip-end shouldn´t be a problem, just leaving the donuts out.
But how about the cat-end?

Mika
Old 08-27-2005, 10:22 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I am almost positive those ends will be different (triangular vs. rounded)
Old 08-27-2005, 10:49 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

directly from Robin's site:

Q:- What's the different between the Gillet core and the Bischoff core?
A:- Besides the brand and quality difference, they are dimensionally and functionally identical. The Gillets cores integrated the biscuit piece in to the muffler itself as part of the pipe, and the Bischoff uses a separate biscuit system. (Biscuits are used in between the muffler tips to the muffler)
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2005, 03:02 PM
drmrfi
Instructor

Thank´s for your replies, Alex!

I also saw that article on Robin´s site. Another info supporting interchangeability was one Rennlist member having one of each (one Bischoff and one Gillet) fitted in his car!
On the other hand I found some info about differently shaped flanges as you also stated in your first post.

???

Mika

EDIT: Read some more and the flange issue appeares to be on the heat-exchanger end of the cat (two different types of heat-exchangers made by B. and G. ?) and the muffler-ends should be identical (?).
Please confirm...

Last edited by drmrfi; 08-27-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:30 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the differences in flanges (triangular vs. rounded) is in the heat exchanger to cat connections and has nothing to do with the muffler to cat interface. From what I understand about Gillet and Bishoff interchangeability, it requires you purchase a biscuit gasket for it to work... can't remember which is which right now, but the write up on Robin's site on RSRs explains what is needed to do so.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I thought I would pitch in. I recently removed the original Gillet mufflers from my car and replaced them with Birschoff RSRs. I can confirm that they are interchangeable. The only difference being at the tailpipe end as shown in the preceeding photograph.

pp

Quick Reply: Bischoff / Gillet interchangeability?