Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default iPod Hookup and Switched Charger

All,

I have my iPod directly connected to the head unit via an auxiliary input capability on my Alpine aftermarket head unit. This will also work with the CDR220 head unit and I'm sure most aftermarket setups. This part of the setup only provides sound to the stereo for listening, but does not cover charging the iPod while in the car.

As you may or may not know, when the iPod (my iPod is a photo version and this may not apply to all of them) is connected with a charging source and the charging ends, the iPod will pause the play and then after a minute or so shut itself off. This function is great when using the iPod in the car and it is plugged into a charging source that turns off with the car. As luck would have it this works fine in the Jeep, but the Porsche cigarette lighter is not switched and the charging continues whether the car is on or off. This could be a problem if you forget to pause the iPod when your finished driving.

So, the DIY quest begins...

I figured I would install a cigarette lighter (power adapter) that piggybacks off one of the switched power sources. In the past I used p-car.com to do the hardwire install of my V1 which uses the sunroof console button as a power source. This power source is switched, so I piggybacked off that. Here are the steps:

1. Pull the switches out of the center console

2. I used Radio Shack Wire Tap-Ins to splice into the positive and negative wires of the V1 hardwire install (sorry the picture is so out of focus)

3. Cut the ends of the power adapter off and connected them to the spliced positive and negative wires from the V1 install

4. This completes the wiring of the power adapter, so then I just ran the wires and velcroed the power adaptor under the passenger seat and the install is basically done.

Now, when I turn the car on the iPod is charging and when I turn the car off, the iPod pauses and shuts itself down. I hope this is helpful for anyone interested in hooking up their iPod and keeping it charged.

Any questions let me know,

-Skip
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Another option, if you have any late model Alpine unit, is to buy their $100 iPod interface which will allow you to control the iPod from the head unit so you can keep it out of sight. It also charges the iPod when the car is running. Occasionally, you will have to unplug the iPod from the connector and plug it back in to allow the head unit to recognize it again. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's usually after the car has sat for a few days with the iPod in it. The iPod fits neatly in the ashtray and you can get creative routing the cable there.

Vic
95 C4
Old 08-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Vic - I have the Alpine unit in my CR-V and it is not worth the money. It only allows you access to your first 256 artists, albums, or playlists -- not very useful if you have any sized collection!

Trust me - buy something else. My friend has a Denison IceLink - it rocks!

Marc
Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Alpine unit already ... works for me (20 gb iPod which is full, careful playlist management).

Vic
95 C4
Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Well you must have worked hard to overcome the limitaitons - I commend you!

Marc
p.s. As soon as I can remove it, it wll be on EBay.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh yeah - Skip: sorry for the Hi-Jack...your install looks very cool!

Marc
Old 08-26-2005, 11:46 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice work, Skip! Next question, where to mount the iPod itself?

One caveat, the iPod battery lifetime is based on charge cycles, and battery life will be shortened by the regular charge and discharge it gets with any setup like this. Replacement battery is $30, though, which outweighs the problem (I'll be replacing mine next week).

Also, I have the Dension unit on my Honda Accord. It's adequate but far from good. Beats nothing, though.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Skip, are you taking appointments?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:20 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ed and Marc - thanks.

Rick - I'll trade you an engine drop for an electrical hookup...

-Skip
Old 08-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously? Please don't do an engine drop without me. I'd love to help. It's a cinch.

Quick Reply: iPod Hookup and Switched Charger