My Cab Top is now a Manual Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts
Default My Cab Top is now a Manual Top

I leave my top down 95 per cent of the time. The only time I put it up is when I park it in an area that I can’t keep an eye on it or when it rains. In the last 3 months it has only been up 3 times. The other day I had it up when I went to a restaurant. When I returned and attempted to put the top down it stop half way through the cycle and stopped. I could hear a humming sound from the right side but no movement. I ended up removing the two Allen bolts that attaches the arms the to transmission and opened it manually. I found that I can close it manually too and just hit the switch and it will latch shut. To open it I hit the switch and it unlatches it and I manually open it. I think I am done with the auto opener / closer. This is much easier than getting stuck with a malfunctioning top.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:02 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
The other day I had it up when I went to a restaurant.
OOHH!! Chucky got lucky!

Clive.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:10 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a DIY over on p-car.com....my guess is one or both or your cables have snapped and need to be replaced.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
there is a DIY over on p-car.com....my guess is one or both or your cables have snapped and need to be replaced.
David..I not sure it's worth the expense to fix it. I had the whole system re-built 2 years ago.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:04 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. My top is now manual as well (my motor and cables are okay, it's just so sloooowwwww. I was used to the 12 sec to operate my Boxster top, including the automatic boot!). My top is also down 95% of the time, so it's easier to just flip the top up/down.

I do have a problem with intermittent latch motors, and will be checking out my controller, as outlined in previous posts.

Besides the 5 speed tiptronic for the Mrs., I would seriously consider moving to a 996 cab, just so that I could have a top with a modern design.

Quick Reply: My Cab Top is now a Manual Top