Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 makes my bike surplus to requirements

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I just did the same thing - sold my Triumph Daytona - after not riding it for almost a year. The 993 is as much fun - and holds a laptop better!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my 95 Iris 8 months ago and my CBR1100xx and 600 rwhp Mustang just sit in the garage; the bike is great to look at but I would rather drive the 993 any chance I get.

Scott
Old 08-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Way

I love driving my 993, but I also love riding the K1200RS. In fact, I ride to work on it every day, unless I have to make an official apperance somewhere. Then I drive the 993. I live in California, and just can't imagine having to do the daily stop and go in a car. California, being the enlightened state that it is, allows lane sharing by motorcycles. Thus, I rarely have to stop and put my feet down while riding to work

I will be keeping them both for a long time.

Michael
Old 08-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Reynard38
Pro

In addition to the Carrera "S" I also enjoy a '01 Ducati Monster 750. Great combination. I can't imagine parting with either. I can certainly underdstand not missing a departed Harley though. I've always wondered why would someone that owns a high performance, great handling car buy such an antiquated motorcycle?
Flame on............
Old 08-23-2005, 02:32 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default VIDEO

Originally Posted by 911CabSteve
Come on guys, I know our P-cars have good performance, but they don't hold a candle to most motorcyles.. Even an 80s Honda CB 750 will leave a 993 in the dust easily.... There is simply no performance comparison.. Completely different animals..
It depends on "how" we are evaluating their performance--straight line, the motorcycle will win. But, in cornering, that might be a different story.

Feast your eyes on this video:

http://www.rsportscars.com/Acentral/video/c4vsr1.wmv
Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reynard38
In addition to the Carrera "S" I also enjoy a '01 Ducati Monster 750. Great combination. I can't imagine parting with either. I can certainly underdstand not missing a departed Harley though. I've always wondered why would someone that owns a high performance, great handling car buy such an antiquated motorcycle?
Flame on............
Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Humm great comparison from the length that is J Clarkson R1=£8,500 and 996 C4=£65,000 at new.

Simple fact you can push a car harder in the corners because there is less to loose, loose grip in a car and you might slide even hit a barrier or two. Loose grip on a bike and your body hits the tarmac at high speed - its going to hurt I know, I have done it.

On a summer day I'll take on any car on the road, you will overtake me on the bends but at some point we will meet traffic and I'll be gone while you sit looking for gaps to overtake in. Or traffic lights and you will que while I will filter down to the front with a smile and I'll be gone.

It might rain and you will laugh with air con and a heater, I will get wet and might have to stop to put on wets. You'll be gone.

Now as a Pcar owner would I sell my R1 or my 750 GSXR, er no. Different people set, differrent mind set different experince.

But i drive my Pcar every day, so if I have a garage queen car and garage queen bike with only 1 day/week to drive it? I think the car would win but not if it was 996. If it was a choice between the 993, well thats a different kettle of frogs.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
pete77930
Racer

I don't usually lerk here, but There is no substitute for a bike or a porsche. Theres nothing like firing up a flat six on a crisp fall morning around 7AM. listening to the deep resonance reverberate off of the barn walls as I back it out reving the motor between 1500 and 2k rpms to keep it from stalling out because of the 8lb flywheel.I then pull out of the driveway, and gingerly go through the gears slowly bringing the aircooled beast up to 180 degrees as I cruise into town at the local Mobil One station to top her off with premium. with the windows down and sunroof open to fully enjoy every pulse of the engine I cruise out of the gas station heading out into the country to start my 200 mile loop of beautiful North Carolina rolling hills. as I see the leaving city limits sign I downshift into 2nd and drop the hammer. The wastegate opens and the engine starts to roar like its ripping everything to shreads. I get up to around 140 or so before I have to shut it down for the first set of twisties. but the whole morning basically consists of this.

Now on a bike. Its a Saturday afternoon, I get into my leathers, and warm my bike up as I put on my Helmet, boots and gloves. roll up to the end of the driveway, pull out onto the road and clutch up first around 20mph, click 2nd with the front end saluting the sky, set it down when i reach the top of 2nd gear. Roll into the same local mobil one station to fill up and meet up with my riding budddies. we head out on the same back roads as I take the 930 on. when the city limit sign comes up the front gets clutched up again briefly to start the hooliganism. I set the it down around 100mph and run screaming inline 4 up to 160 or so before jumping on the binders for turn one. with my knee on the ground i accelerate out as the back end of the bike slips out a little bit to leave a nice darkie on the road. The rest of the afternoon consists of one wheel antics, darkies being layed down in corners, and restling to keep the nose of a 1000cc sportbike on the ground.

To completely different feelings but both are excellent ways to clear your senses.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:18 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete, nice post - reminds me of when I used to read Penthouse Forum.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:49 PM
pete77930
Racer

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Pete, nice post - reminds me of when I used to read Penthouse Forum.
strictly for the articles right?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:43 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reynard38

you certainly make a good point, but in my case the bike is transport to work on nice days, and long rides. Harley's are certainly antiquated, but it is very comfortable for racking up 2500-4000 miles on a week's vacation. i kinda prefer a sports car for ripping around, while the harley is for putting around...
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pete77930
I don't usually lerk here, but There is no substitute for a bike or a porsche. Theres nothing like firing up a flat six on a crisp fall morning around 7AM. listening to the deep resonance reverberate off of the barn walls as I back it out reving the motor between 1500 and 2k rpms to keep it from stalling out because of the 8lb flywheel.I then pull out of the driveway, and gingerly go through the gears slowly bringing the aircooled beast up to 180 degrees as I cruise into town at the local Mobil One station to top her off with premium. with the windows down and sunroof open to fully enjoy every pulse of the engine I cruise out of the gas station heading out into the country to start my 200 mile loop of beautiful North Carolina rolling hills. as I see the leaving city limits sign I downshift into 2nd and drop the hammer. The wastegate opens and the engine starts to roar like its ripping everything to shreads. I get up to around 140 or so before I have to shut it down for the first set of twisties. but the whole morning basically consists of this.

Now on a bike. Its a Saturday afternoon, I get into my leathers, and warm my bike up as I put on my Helmet, boots and gloves. roll up to the end of the driveway, pull out onto the road and clutch up first around 20mph, click 2nd with the front end saluting the sky, set it down when i reach the top of 2nd gear. Roll into the same local mobil one station to fill up and meet up with my riding budddies. we head out on the same back roads as I take the 930 on. when the city limit sign comes up the front gets clutched up again briefly to start the hooliganism. I set the it down around 100mph and run screaming inline 4 up to 160 or so before jumping on the binders for turn one. with my knee on the ground i accelerate out as the back end of the bike slips out a little bit to leave a nice darkie on the road. The rest of the afternoon consists of one wheel antics, darkies being layed down in corners, and restling to keep the nose of a 1000cc sportbike on the ground.

To completely different feelings but both are excellent ways to clear your senses.
Hmmmm...bike ****

Quick Reply: 993 makes my bike surplus to requirements