lotus elise???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 03:52 PM
kbonnel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Yeah, warranty covered it, but at less than 5k miles, I would expect better."
Ahhh, the joys of British engineering I love my Land Rover to death!!!! LOL
I think that I would have to get an extended warranty if I purchase the beloved 993. Though, I have to say, the new car experience is something I always love doing. I really hope the Cayman (non s if there will be one) will be around the Boxster price.

"kimo- I too am all about the looks! PS, what about "how you get in and out" is there something I don't know???"

I think it has to do with how one "slides" into the car. It isn't the easiest thing if you have the top on. Over in elisetalk (I believe) you can find a thread with a video of a guy demoing how to get in and out. Quite funny.

Kimo
Old 08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

You dont 'get in and out' of an elise - you squeeze in, and fall out.

Still the best driving experience form a car that I have ever driven and not bought!!

Being able to drive long distances in my C2S isn't something I'd like to contemplate in an Elise either...
Old 08-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 568 Posts

Looked at one closely at the dealer. I think it would be a great toy, but not something you would use for commuting. It is definitely a fun car and should be thought of as that. Probably a good track or autocross car for fun.

I wouldn't mind owning one, but would be empty without a 911. Owning both would be good, but the 911 has priority.

Originally Posted by aap
I am not 6'4" and would only use it for weekend, hourlong drives...but definitley need to drive one before even seriously considering.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:58 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aap
anyone experienced the elise? Any comments? My wife loves this car, I know nothing about it, searching web artilces but thought I'd pole the crew here. Thanks.
Ap
Everything you need to know about the Elise you will get from one test drive. You'll not only get to experience the great handling, but also you'll learn to get in and out You'll know after that one drive if it suits you or not...

I have one and use it exclusively for a track car. My 993 Turbo is orders of magnitude better as a daily driver...
Old 08-19-2005, 02:05 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kbonnel
"Yeah, warranty covered it, but at less than 5k miles, I would expect better." Ahhh, the joys of British engineering ve the top on. Over in elisetalk (I believe) you can find a thread with a video of a guy demoing how to get in and out. Quite funny.
imo
Huh ? British engineering ? Talk to me.....how about Toyota my friend. This car is a screamer......w/out the the inconsistentcies of the Brits. Cockpit is pure sportscar..no frills at all. The steering wheel is half the size of the 993.
At 6k RPM ...the car just bolts out of its' belt. It's a brute......smack me...I'll smack you back. Gawk factor is ten fold and the exhaust sound is perfect out of the box. EUROCLASSICS PORSCHE in Richmond, VA (Robert...I luv ya) thru me the keys and said have fun..........

For $47k.....this car rules....0-60 in 4.5 seconds and I can't imagine how it eats up a track. Total Boy Toy....you got kids......? Don't apply...this thing is THAT addictive. Makes the 993 look like the porker that it is...and I LOVE my car.

Sorry fellas.....we got belittled here.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 AM
kbonnel
Advanced

It was a joke. I own a Land Rover, which anybody who owns one knows that they can be a serious Love/Hate relationship. I was just joking on the warranty repairs within the first 5k miles. I totally agree that it is a screamer, I never said it wasn't. Actually I never said anything bad about it. I want one.

Geez

Kimo

Originally Posted by kdurg
Huh ? British engineering ? Talk to me.....how about Toyota my friend. This car is a screamer......w/out the the inconsistentcies of the Brits. Cockpit is pure sportscar..no frills at all. The steering wheel is half the size of the 993.
At 6k RPM ...the car just bolts out of its' belt. It's a brute......smack me...I'll smack you back. Gawk factor is ten fold and the exhaust sound is perfect out of the box. EUROCLASSICS PORSCHE in Richmond, VA (Robert...I luv ya) thru me the keys and said have fun..........

For $47k.....this car rules....0-60 in 4.5 seconds and I can't imagine how it eats up a track. Total Boy Toy....you got kids......? Don't apply...this thing is THAT addictive. Makes the 993 look like the porker that it is...and I LOVE my car.

Sorry fellas.....we got belittled here.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 AM
aap
Advanced

Keith, your writing is PRICELESS!!!! ap
Old 08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to lust after the Elise, but no longer. Two reasons: 1) completely impractical. I drive to the track, and there's just not enough room for gear in the elise. 2) they don't seem as fast as I expected. I've only come across 2 new elises on the track and both were much slower than my 993. I don't know if that was due to car or driver. However, an older Euro elise at 1500 lbs with modified 230hp engine will put our 993's to shame.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I used to lust after the Elise, but no longer. Two reasons: 1) completely impractical. I drive to the track, and there's just not enough room for gear in the elise. 2) they don't seem as fast as I expected. I've only come across 2 new elises on the track and both were much slower than my 993. I don't know if that was due to car or driver. However, an older Euro elise at 1500 lbs with modified 230hp engine will put our 993's to shame.
RE: #2) It was due to the driver
Old 08-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

pete - small world...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:13 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
pete - small world...
Indeed!

You are right on the clam shell, they are very expensive to fix... lots of Elise owners are worried about their insurance rates going way up as the insurance companies start to figure out the repair costs. Most are damaged by SUVs that didn't see such a low car when backing up...

Before I got the Elise I considered buying a used Spec Miata for a track car. I thought about getting a Jackson Racing supercharger for it. But alas, I could not resist the Elise :-) No regrets, it is easily the funnest car I've ever driven at the track; it isn't the fastest, but the sensory input it feeds you are just so enjoyable!

Some like it for a street car, but I wouldn't, and don't, use it on a daily basis. It sits in a garage between track events.

Quick Reply: lotus elise???