Sponsored by:

Stop the beeping!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:46 PM
aww996
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop the beeping!

I have a US spec 993 C2 which has been imported to the UK. The single most annoying thing about it is the US regulation warning beep/bong noise which seems paranoid about any possible danger! It bongs away when I put the key in the ignition, until I put on my seat belt, as soon as I open a door or the bonnet (aka "hood"), and at any other time it thinks it will succeed in driving me crazy.
As I am in the UK I'm not subject to the Federal regulations that require the thing to be fitted, so I want to shut it up. The problem is I've no idea how! I'm even a bit worried that if I do manage to disconnect it another system might suddenly activate to warn me that there's a problem with the warning system.
Anyone know if there's an easy remedy? Apart from earplugs?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Why don't you buy a replacement seat belt, remove the buckle and keep it inserted. In other words, trick it..
Old 08-15-2005, 12:47 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

There are three ways to achieve your goal......... I highly recommend #1 as it makes the most sense.

1. Start car after you have buckled your seat belt....... By inserting the belt, you will not get tones.
2. Find the ground wire that is attached to the seat belt receiver and make a hard connection to short circuit the wire pair coming into the receiver. Why? Because the shorted connection fools the circuit into thinking the belt is inserted. When you insert the belt into the receiver, it completes the circuit...... Trick it.
3. Remove the tone generator.

Again, I recommend #1.

Good luck.
Scott
Old 08-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
There are three ways to achieve your goal......... I highly recommend #1 as it makes the most sense.

1. Start car after you have buckled your seat belt....... By inserting the belt, you will not get tones.
2. Find the ground wire that is attached to the seat belt receiver and make a hard connection to short circuit the wire pair coming into the receiver. Why? Because when you insert the strap connection into the receiver, it completes the circuit.
3. Remove the tone generator.

Again, I recommend #1.

Good luck.
Scott
#1 seems like a good solution. It works for me every time.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:40 AM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

Just remove the seat and take off the seat and unplug the connector from the seat belt housing.

I did this on my 993 while changing the seats - now...no beep!!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:38 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

I think you want to remove the relay which is located behind the leftmost instrument in the cluster (fuel/oil level?).

I assume if it's US spec, it's also LHD?

Try this pic for reference

I'm pretty certain that the relay/block shown as 180854 in the picture is it.. Easy way to tell is to pull the gauge, and put your hand over the top (you can see the openings on top for the sound.) while you put the key in.

I don't see that this does anything useful except "sound" (according to the wiring diagrams) and could probably just be pulled out.

Quick Reply: Stop the beeping!