Sponsored by:

Another 996 Seat Install !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 996 Seat Install !!!!

So ... after reading up on Al Z's post I decided that I was going to do this on my own instead of taking it to a porsche shop.

I would say that the most difficult thing of the install was to get the front bolts of the seats railings and railing mount. I would also suggest that you do this install with power tools. One of my friend manages a mechanic shop and we did the install at his shop during after hours.

Steps - pretty much the same as Al Z's post (who BTW responded to me while hes down in Cancun and provided me with his Hotel's phone and room #.... THANKS A LOT AL!!).

I had the Recaro Pole Positions in there so now having the 996 Sports seats seem kinda "venerable" if you may. I wont be tracking this car ... atleast not right now, since i'll first start tracking my BMW. Anyways - all the posts about the seats sittup higher is indeed true. But I dont have anything to compare against since when I got the car it had the Recaro's which sit really low. I barely have about 3-4 inches of clearance from the roof now (i'm 6 feet tall).

I DO HAVE AN ISSUE THOUGH - AND NEED HELP FROM YOU GUYS!!

I somehow have messed up the wiring for the electric recliners. Pics are included. Instead of simply plugging the 996 Red and Brown wires into the electirc plug thats coming out of the 993 floor, I removed the wires from the plug and soldered them together. In my opinion this was the correct thing to do - solder red to red and brown to brown ... and leave Purple alone. (AS SEEN IN PIC - Photo_081005_001.jpg)

Now - the recliner is not working....but the funny part is that before i soldered the wires, I simply "plugged" the wires from the seat into the 993 plug holes and put some electric tape on it. THAT WORKED!! I figured it might be better to solder the wires so that it might not prop out from the plugs or if the tape goes old... ... (THE PLUG IS SHOWN IN PIC Photo_080905_003.jpg and also I have attached the pic from AL Z's post DSC00687.JPE)
So now I have seats stuck at one position...which luckily was a good position for driving.

Please take a look at the pics - and also let me know if there should be ANY difference between putting the wires to the plug vs directly??!! I am totaly perplexed on wuts happening...unless the plug somehow grounds the brown wire or something.....

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance!
--Andy
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, those seats look great, especially with the red stitches.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Saweet! Those painted shells look awesome in your ride!
btw, are your Recaro Pole Positions for sale? If so, email me

thanks
Mike
bimerz@aol.com
Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy -

Where, may I ask, did you pick up those seats? They are VERY cool looking -- love the red stitching -- I want a set.

Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

Hey guys - thanks for the comments!

ANYONE HAVE IDEAS ON MY ELECTRIC CONNECTION ISSUES?

Mike - Yes..the Recaros are for sale. I just want to make sure that the 996 seats fit effeciently and and are not giving me any problems - so I want to give it about a couple of weeks before I officially let go of them.

Scott - I got the seats from a fellow Rennlister. They were posted in the Classified section about three months ago.

--Andy
Old 08-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Andy,
I am glad you were able to work out the seats. If the seat back is not working, it could be the fuse may have blown for the power seat option. By the way If you need any more help, let me know . I will be back in Michigan saturday morning..
Old 10-04-2005, 11:41 PM
993cab
Advanced

Default 996 Seat install

I am trying install some 996 crested seats that are fully powered with no heat. I am having a problem with the drivers side seat. I cannot find the main power line because all the wires for the motor go into a "junction box". The main receptacle that plugs into the floor only has 3 wires compared to the passengers side which had 5 wires. I managed to get the passenger side to work.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:11 PM
993cab
Advanced

Default 996 seat install

These are some pictures of what I am referring to.
Attached Images    
Old 10-24-2005, 12:20 AM
993cab
Advanced

Default HELP!! 996 Seat Install

This is becomning quite the project. I am still trying to fit the 996 crested seats into my 993 and cannot figure out the wiring for the driver's seat, but I think I figured out what is going on.

By reading the schematic, the driver's seat appears to be hooked up to the anti-theft system and thus it hooks up to another ECU. The seats are fully featured and have heat, memory and completely power.

Can anyone confirm this is the case and that 996 offered these seats with the above features? Has anyone encountered this?

It looks like I am going to have to hard wire all the motors and so my question is, does anyone know how to strip the seats and be able to put it back together?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Another 996 Seat Install !!!!