Caliper DISCOLORATION

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Chicago993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper DISCOLORATION

Has anyone had the problem with discolored calipers? I have a 1995 C4 with SILVER Calipers. I track the car several times thru the year, and upon returning home from Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan, I noticed that my front calipers are tunring a yellowish color. I assume this is due to the heat, but is this something I should be concerned with? The rears are still silver, but now the fronts are drastically different than the rears. Any help would be much appreciated.. I love this site...
Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes, it is common for that sort of thing to happen on tracked 993s, the front does most of the work so that is why the calipers are showing signs of elevated temperature only there.

The rubber parts in the front calipers are either gone or on their way out. Rebuild them.

The solution is to keep rotor temps down, cool air, is a first step. Many go to the 993tt/993RS brakes as a final solution.

Another strategy is to get the weight down, but that is neither cheap nor easy.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Discolored calipers are a badge of honor. You going fast, braking hard, using the car in the manner it was designed!!! Check your pads, you may have less than 1/2 of the pad material left, past half any your transfering even more heat to the calipers. If your planning on RA for Labor Day, really check your pads as that track will eat a set of pads over the course of a weekend.

Last edited by Eric in Chicago; 08-10-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Chicago993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Before going to the track I did the following:

Changed Brake Pads from stock to NEW Pagid Sport Pads F & R
Changed from rubber to Stainless Braided brake lines
Flushed brake fluid with new ATP Super Blue

It wasnt until after doing these items that my calipers started to change color in the front.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If anything, I would imagine that the Pagid pads would do a better job of thermally protecting the calipers. You're probably braking deeper and harder with all of your slow-fast goodies and that transferred energy is turning into excessive heat.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:50 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

My Titanium coloured calipers look like nicotine stained fingers thanks to the Previous Owner, who could actually drive

Quick Reply: Caliper DISCOLORATION