Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-Haul auto transport for 993 ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 07:27 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts
Default U-Haul auto transport for 993 ??

Hey all,

I am seriously considering renting a U-Haul auto transport for my weekend at Thunderhill. I was told that U-Haul's are not good for carrying 993's. Something about wheel well divet's. However, I remember using a U-Haul auto transport a few years back with no problems.

Any experience using U-Haul auto transports.. good or bad ??
My car is a "S" model with a wide rear and am installing a H&R coilover kit which will lower the car.

Please tell me your experience. Have you had any problems trailoring your 993 on a U-Haul...

thanks.
B
Old 08-09-2005, 08:20 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, I never used a U-Haul but a friend of mine used one this past year at the Speedway. His biggest issue was clearance as he rolled onto the ramps. He needed to use some wood. Otherwise it appeared to work well.

Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used one when I picked my car up in Washington and brought it back to Vancouver. The angle on the ramp is too steep to drive on and off. The wood might work.

What I ended up doing was driving it off the ramp on the Intercity Truck directly on to the trailer (i.e. not using the ramp) and then driving it from the trailer on to a flat bed tow truck in Vancouver.

The other thing is that the front of the trailer is too high to move the car all the way to the front. So, when you tie it down, it isn't quite as secure as it should be. If you aren't driving that far, it shouldn't be a problem.

Having said all that, I have no idea whether all UHaul trailers are the same or whether there are a bunch of different kinds.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:24 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I moved a 993 long distance with a uhaul trailer.I had some 2x6s handy but didn't need them-just find a depression in the roadway and park the trailer in it and then the loading angle will work. My car was factory ride height so the doors cleared the trailer fenders.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 PM
polver
Instructor

Seege,
SInce you had the most positive experience (it seems), what year was your 993? I don't know that ride height differed year to year, but just in case. I just bought a 993 and will need to tow it to its new home when I move (military moves me often). I was so in love with the car, I jumped in with both feet and decided to figure out the move later!

Dave
Old 09-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a friend use a U-Haul trailer to take his 993TT to Mid-Ohio and back to NJ. No problems...but did need wood to extend the ramps, as do most of the steel trailer owners in the paddock.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Seege to drop the trailer wheels into a water culvert or back the trailer up to a curb with enough room to layout the ramps and unload the car....

Quick Reply: U-Haul auto transport for 993 ??