Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to replace an alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
GilesTT
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if resurrecting old threads is the done thing here, so apologies if not, but I've just had my belts changed, and the Alternator belt started squealing again straight away, and snapped in a cloud of smoke after 20 miles...

any idea possible cause? i'm guessing incorrectly tensioned / fitted could be a reason, but could a duff alternator have caused it?

I had a $100 bearing replaced at the same time as the belts, but not sure what that part was - any ideas?

So I guess what I'm really asking is: it worth getting the belts re-fitted, or is there anything that can be done to test the alternator before splashing $1500 (UK prices!)

lots of questions - thanks as always!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belts are cheap and a relatively easy to do. I would try that first. Since you had a shop do it, I would ask them to make it right.

Does the alternator spin easily? Does the fan spin easily? If it was making noise right after the work, something was not done correctly in the work.

You can use a (krikit?) belt tension measurement tool to see if the belt tension is in range.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a 2-3 hour job depending on how difficult it is to remove the fan from the alternator shaft.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

that fan can be a tough nut to crack...I gave in and bought a 3-prong puller and it slid off no problem. the shaft had a touch of rust on it which is why it initially gave me some trouble. If the belt is squeeling, I'd be suspicious of the fan bearing.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by slider
that fan can be a tough nut to crack...I gave in and bought a 3-prong puller and it slid off no problem. the shaft had a touch of rust on it which is why it initially gave me some trouble. If the belt is squeeling, I'd be suspicious of the fan bearing.
Joe,

When you used the puller where on the fan did the prong grab on to? My greatest fear is to crack the darn fan since it is so brittle. My method have always been holding the fan with my hand while someone else beats on the alternator shaft with a hammer.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by GilesTT
Not sure if resurrecting old threads is the done thing here, so apologies if not, but I've just had my belts changed, and the Alternator belt started squealing again straight away, and snapped in a cloud of smoke after 20 miles...

any idea possible cause? i'm guessing incorrectly tensioned / fitted could be a reason, but could a duff alternator have caused it?

I had a $100 bearing replaced at the same time as the belts, but not sure what that part was - any ideas?

So I guess what I'm really asking is: it worth getting the belts re-fitted, or is there anything that can be done to test the alternator before splashing $1500 (UK prices!)

lots of questions - thanks as always!
Bonjour, I presume you have a TT from the avatar.

If so, you might as well go to pcarworkshop and check 993 TT TSB number 6

here.
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...C_Parts_Guides
Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
GilesTT
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great, thanks all. Will go with new belts and take it from there...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Joe,

When you used the puller where on the fan did the prong grab on to? My greatest fear is to crack the darn fan since it is so brittle. My method have always been holding the fan with my hand while someone else beats on the alternator shaft with a hammer.
I might have gotten lucky with the puller, but the three prongs were small enough to fit through the holes on the fan itself, then the hooks on the prongs held on from behind the fan. A couple turns on the puller bolt did the trick. I wasn't aware the fan was brittle. probably got lucky.

My son and I tried your method and all I did was begin to round off the alternator shaft. So clearly I was doing something wrong, and I was then fearfull that I wouldn't be able to slide the fan bearing past the now-quickly rounded shaft end.

love the spider...I've never really been a big fan of F-cars, but the spider is changing my mind..I hope my wallet can follow some day...
Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by slider
My son and I tried your method and all I did was begin to round off the alternator shaft. So clearly I was doing something wrong, and I was then fearfull that I wouldn't be able to slide the fan bearing past the now-quickly rounded shaft end.
You were not doing anything wrong, hammering the alternator will cause the shaft to musroom. You might even have to ground off a little of the shaft in order to get the fan to slide off.

Takes a little bit of beating on the shaft (about 10 minutes....) but beats buying a new fan....

Quick Reply: How much to replace an alternator?