Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what I found on my way to the gym today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Beautiful car, apparently run off road by illegal in a old pickup truck with no insurance.
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Well yes, that's exactly what happened. I asked the officer in question how the accident occured, and she pointed over to the gentleman in question and stated that he apparently forced the P-car into the pole. I asked if he was insured, and she said "no, most illegals don't carry insurance".
I can't find anything impolite, irrational or even off topic here (cost of ownership).
When I have taken my insulin-dependent daughter to the emergency room on a few occasions I am comforted by the facts:
1. She is about 20 minutes from coma/death, so the triage nurse will have no problem rushing her in.
2. Her exorbitant medical insurance is current so she will not be a burden to others. Perhaps because she has insurance and there is less paperwork, the triage nurse will have no problem rushing her in.
3. After spending a career in the highest federal and state tax brackets, I retired early, live a leisurely life, and own a Porsche. Better than keeping working and becoming a cardiac case myself, ie a burden on the system. I hope to die broke (more miles and mods, please!) so the estate tax will not get what's left.
4. I have never, and will never, hire anybody from outside HD. If one of them should chop off their toes with my shovel, fall out of my tree, shoot themself in the face with my staple gun, I will be paying to send all their kids to college.

And therein is the point of my post. Anyone who trades the short term benefits of illegal labor for the near term and long term costs to themselves and our society is living in a dream. There is a financial tsunami arriving. I have done all I can to move my situation to higher ground. It is up to Federal and State government to do the rest.
I apologize for the long winded ventilating, and now I am off for a drive.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:06 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevarino
When things get personal I always suspect folks are out of rational things to say. No, it's not class envy, as these people are my neighbors. I posted where I normally wouldn't because your post was a bit provincial and frankly, I was embarrassed for you, because you seemed like a decent bloke in previous posts. However, I imagine things are very different where you're from in the Valley. Bigotry is inexcusable, and your analysis regarding the cost to society was fundamentally flawed as it didn't take into account that we're all paying the health care, insurance premium increases, etc... for the illegals that people like you hire. If you can't afford to pay a laborer the going rate, get into another line of business, and spare everyone the attempt to mask what was clearly a racist comment.

Think about it before you write yet another post off topic.
Steve, I couldn't agree more with what you said....in my opinion the illegals and people that hire them are all criminals...they are all breaking the law....maybe if their was harsher penalties for hiring undocument workers say- repossesing those 200k cars- there wouldn't be such a problem....

Another point, about being "hard working and sending money to their home country"....so you think it's ok to take money out of our economy and use it for their own? Seems like stealing to me.......

Do you think people that don't mind crossing the border ILLEGALLY are really wholesome, good morals kind of people? I don't........

I have a different view on Cuban's who are trying to escape a dictator then others from other places who are trying to leech on our economy......Maybe I'm too pro-American worker (yet still Republican) because I hold similiar views to illegal immigrants as I do to outsourcing jobs- but that's way OT.....
Old 08-09-2005, 05:00 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to ruin friendships in one easy thread. This discussion does belong in the OT forum.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

so....does that mean I can buy the car? Can I have legal or illegal body repair done by legal or illegal? Since I guess my Scotch , Irish, German and Cherokee predecessors came here and resided in the land of" bust *** to make ends meet"...? Or am I in the land of entitlement and the buffet line...? Dunno, just thought I would poke another stick into the snake pit....lol

I prefer Grace...Ie...undeserved forginess as that is the standard that allows me to continue to grow and move forward in this human existence where if we are not careful, we are inclined to focus on imperfections rather than blessings.

I always liked the story about the adulteress brought by the angry mob to Jesus. 2 often overlooked thoughts in the story are...where was the man who was also caught in the act,?...and notice that the eldest members of the crowd were the first to drop the stones and walk away.....
Old 08-10-2005, 02:09 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

If your referring to your descendants I would be saying the same thing if they came here illegaly.....Since you didn't say, I'll assume they did not- and if that's the case, why make light (or is it lite) of what they went through building this country.

Not to mention it sounds like the illegals are the ones who are in the buffet line. By that I mean not contributing taxes etc yet taking advantage of all the social programs and putting strains on all of us....
Old 08-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
"Then you add in the fact that few illegals get any preventative or mainteance care and they use the emergency room as their personal physician"
but is this their fault, or the fault of the system?
Both. They shouldn't be here if illegal and the "system" shouldn't enable them by continuing to care for them.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevarino
When things get personal I always suspect folks are out of rational things to say. No, it's not class envy, as these people are my neighbors. I posted where I normally wouldn't because your post was a bit provincial and frankly, I was embarrassed for you, because you seemed like a decent bloke in previous posts. However, I imagine things are very different where you're from in the Valley. Bigotry is inexcusable, and your analysis regarding the cost to society was fundamentally flawed as it didn't take into account that we're all paying the health care, insurance premium increases, etc... for the illegals that people like you hire. If you can't afford to pay a laborer the going rate, get into another line of business, and spare everyone the attempt to mask what was clearly a racist comment.
Think about it before you write yet another post off topic.
Well Steve I've thought about it, and your conclusions are without merit. I don't live in the valley, nor am I a bigot. I never made an anaylsis regarding costs to society (that was others), only that there is an impact on our lives, financial or otherwise. I'm not an "unscrupulous employer with a $200k car in my driveway", maybe $75k at best. My mother has occasionally been embarassed by my behavior, but that years ago and probably justified. I've since evolved into a decent bloke....

We just see life through different prisms....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 08-10-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:18 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Both. They shouldn't be here if illegal and the "system" shouldn't enable them by continuing to care for them.
i agree with you. i think the solution though is to work on our system of immigration which seems too strict (to me).
Old 08-10-2005, 07:49 PM
nman413
Drifting

mborkow, that is probably the best suggestion I've heard so far. As an immigrant, I have been in the States since 1991 and only just in the last 2 years got my permanent residency. I have to wait another 3 years to qualify for citizenship. I own a house (and a Porsche as well as pay my taxes. I decided years ago that this is where I want to stay and work. Is it really reasonable that I have to wait 16 years to become a citizen? From where I stand, I think not. I have nothing but respect for people that have gone through the immigration process. It's not fun and it takes a really long time simply because the agencies either a) do not have enough budget or b) have horrible policies in place (having processing times in excess of a year is not acceptable no matter how you slice it).

If the IRS can collect taxes on a timely basis, why cant the INS process immigration on a timely basis? Just some food for thought.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:40 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Jauder, 100% with you there.

Moved here 98 - Green card in 2004 (work sponsorship only took the INS/BCIS/CIS 2.5 years - Congress expects 6 months!)
Citizenship application will be in 2007. (US citizen wife and child)

For those of you who have no idea of the stress you go through getting this far (a Green Card) I suggest you go to a few of the online web forums and read a number of the horror stories. The Beaurocracy (sp?) is beyond comprehension. No two INS offices have a clue what's going on and you end up chasing your tail for an eternity. Oh! and they recently upped the "fees" for processing paperwork, and there is no recourse for failing to meet basic time frames for those "in the system"

Not sayng it's any better in any other country (immigration processing times), but you wonder if those on the "illegal" side of the fence are better off than those trying to do the "legal" thing sometimes.

The system is messed up beyond repair.

Anyway off my for now.

Clive.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:06 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
thank god the passengers are safe and the 993 was only a tip.....
This is a VERY inflammatory remark and I don't want it to get lost in all of the political debate regarding illegals. Tip owners unite and expose this elitist for who he is! You are prepared to sacrifice 993s as long as they are tips? Outrageous!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree that something needs to be done to reform the immigration process. I have heard the arguement that illegal aliens are taking jobs away from US workers and can only partially agree. There are some skilled labor jobs that illegal aliens are taking that compete with US workers. (My brother in-law is a So Cal contractor and sees his bids being under cut and is understandably upset) On the other hand, when I drive by the agricultural fields in So Cal and see the workers hunched over in the fields or see the all of the workers mowing lawns, as a couple of examples, I wonder how many US workers would take those jobs at minimum wage. And to the standard arguement that the illegal worker do not pay any taxes, the Social Security Administration notes that illegal aliens pay $7 billion in taxes per year that will never be collected and are a windfall to the retirement system http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...0724-7621r.htm. I would like to see a proactive immigration policy that would at least allow a more accomodative policy to allow guest workers to enter the country legally and provide the vital labor services that our economy demands. As far as these workers sending their meager earnings to their home countries being a drain on our economy I think you just need to look at who holds the majority of the US Treasuries to see how small that is as an issue.
Just my 2 cents and I don't believe that my opinion is better than anyone elses.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:55 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
So I take it you feel that illegal's are the crem' da la crem' of their respective countries? Personally, I think we should give everyone in this country that isn't a criminal etc and will swear allegiance to the U.S. citizenship, erect a wall/fence on our borders. And guard it with deadly force. After that is done we can look into more legal immigration. Truth is this will never happen because those in power like the illegal's for the cheap labor they provide from them.
at first i just thought that we had a healthy disagreement....now i see that it is more than that...in the interest of the fact that this thread is now way too OT, i will my comments to a minimum... the problem with your example/scenario is that it leaves a bunch of lazy welfare-types sucking my and your taxes inside the country...

greg fishman - there are a lot of babies in NICU draining your and my taxes that were born to US citizens...

we have a fundamental disagreement here, so lets just leave it at that... i cant speak for california or elsewhere, but in TX - illegal Mexicans contribute signficantly to our economy in ways that others cant/wont... its never good when uninsured motorists flee scenes, or anyone ends up in hospitals that cant pay their bills... but these situations are not limited to "illegals"
Old 08-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
greg fishman - there are a lot of babies in NICU draining your and my taxes that were born to US citizens...
No doubt, in Kentucky over half of the deliveries are paid by the state Medicaid problem.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Originally Posted by fbfisher
This is a VERY inflammatory remark and I don't want it to get lost in all of the political debate regarding illegals. Tip owners unite and expose this elitist for who he is! You are prepared to sacrifice 993s as long as they are tips? Outrageous!

That was great....

Quick Reply: Look what I found on my way to the gym today...