Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to buy a helmet in Los Angeles ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Where to buy a helmet in Los Angeles ??

Hey all,

I have to admit, I have gained some weight !!
The reason I mention this, It's time for me to get a new helmet.
My Simpson is not comfortable any more.

So, my question is, where can I find a shop in Los Angeles that has a number of helmets for me to try on?
- I have always had a pretty big head. Round cheecks to boot !!
- I would prefer not to order over the internet but would rather go into a "store" that has MANY helmets and sizes to try on..

Any advice?? I have already been to Werks II. They had a few but nothing that felt right. I need a dual purpose, one that will be comfortable in the Pcar and also has the chin lip for Open Wheel..

Any thoughts on where to go?
Thanks,
B
Old 07-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Werks II Burbank, CA, the shop of Galen Bieker.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:48 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Hey Martin,

Thanks for the response.. I don't think you read my post though

I've already been in Werks II, Galen is actually doing work to my car as we speak. There was only one helmet they had that fit me, the Dominator.. And I found it to be very uncomfortable.
- The other helmets were too small for my head or didn't have the chin plates..
I want to give my purchase loyalty to Gus and Galen, but don't want to compromise on the comfort/fit of a helmet.

Any other shops you can think of?

B
Old 07-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking Hair trigger response...

Sorry for not reading the entire post. I have always had good luck with Dave Turner Motorsports in San Diego. Dave just sold the shop, new ownership...but Dave assures me that they have an incredible inventory.

In the past I purchased driving suits, gloves, helmets, and other assorted racing stuff from Dave. Give the shop a call at 858 571 3811. They are closed today for some reason.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

B-line,

Hey, what's happening?!

You could try Racer's Shop in Redondo Beach. They carry Bieffe, Stand 21, Arai and a few others, I believe. Call 310-965-7717 and ask for Cindy. If you do decide to take a trip down there, ask if Steve (owner) can give you a tour of his facility. He's got quite a collection of historic F1 cars ('80 or '81 Lotus, '60 Cooper, '82 March). I think he also has a CanAm car, too.

There's also Subesports in Huntington Beach, or even the Simpson store in Torrance.

Take care,

Rich
Old 07-16-2005, 07:49 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Sorry for not reading the entire post. I have always had good luck with Dave Turner Motorsports in San Diego. Dave just sold the shop, new ownership...but Dave assures me that they have an incredible inventory.

In the past I purchased driving suits, gloves, helmets, and other assorted racing stuff from Dave. Give the shop a call at 858 571 3811. They are closed today for some reason.
No worries Martin, thanks for the leads !!

B
Old 07-16-2005, 07:53 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911
B-line,

Hey, what's happening?!

You could try Racer's Shop in Redondo Beach. They carry Bieffe, Stand 21, Arai and a few others, I believe. Call 310-965-7717 and ask for Cindy. If you do decide to take a trip down there, ask if Steve (owner) can give you a tour of his facility. He's got quite a collection of historic F1 cars ('80 or '81 Lotus, '60 Cooper, '82 March). I think he also has a CanAm car, too.

There's also Subesports in Huntington Beach, or even the Simpson store in Torrance.

Take care,

Rich
Hey Rick

All is well.. And you??

Thanks as well for the great leads. I think I am going to try the Simpson shop in Torrance first. I think it is closest to me. Also, I currently have a Simpson and happen to really like the fit and feel of the helmet.
- I called today but no one answers the phone. Guess their off for shabus..lol
I will give them a try on Monday.

Thanks again and will let you know how all goes with the Helmet search..

Btw, my brother is trying to convince me to get an IMPACT helmet. But I am apprehensive to order over the internet. I really prefer to try on a helmet. Just because it's the right size does not mean it's going to be comfortable and there is nothing worse than going through a turn at 100+ with a helmet headache. Talk about a distraction.

B
Old 07-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B-Line

- I called today but no one answers the phone. Guess their off for shabus..lol
I will give them a try on Monday.
If you called after 2pm, then I believe they are gone for the day on Saturdays... I totally agree w/ you about trying on a helmet before you buy one. Let me know when you think you might go down there and I could probably meet you there. I'm only about 15 minutes away, and I'm about 2 miles away from The Racers Shop in Redondo. Take care.

Rich
Old 07-17-2005, 03:07 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911
If you called after 2pm, then I believe they are gone for the day on Saturdays... I totally agree w/ you about trying on a helmet before you buy one. Let me know when you think you might go down there and I could probably meet you there. I'm only about 15 minutes away, and I'm about 2 miles away from The Racers Shop in Redondo. Take care.

Rich
I just came into some interesting information. Turns out, IMPACT RACING is owned by (I think it's Bill Simpson) the guy who started SIMPSON RACING. Evidently he left the company after Dale Earnhardt died using Simpson gear. I understand he left because he felt the product Simpson was putting out was becoming inferior but because it was such a big corporation, quality was diminishing on the product. He left the comany.
So he started Impact Racing (a Bill Simpson company) in order to get back to "quality" safety gear over quantity.
- I also understand the customer service at the new company is amazing, friendly, helpful, top-notch, etc.
And, Skip Barber has replaced all their Simpson helmets for Impact helmets (they buy all silver, so if you race/drive with Skip and are in the market for a helmet, avoid silver) and many, many of the Skip drivers are switching to Impact helmets as well. Supposedely, they are the most comfortable helmets on the market as well.
I think I am going to try to order one over the internet or find a local distributor. In the event that I have to order over the internet, I will make sure I can return it if I'm not happy.

However, I would still love to visit the Simpson shop. Sounds like a fun place to poke my head into.

Rich, I am going to be out of town for a few weeks. When I get back, why don't we meet at the shop. The first week in August??

B
Old 07-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B-Line
I just came into some interesting information. Turns out, IMPACT RACING is owned by (I think it's Bill Simpson) the guy who started SIMPSON RACING. Evidently he left the company after Dale Earnhardt died using Simpson gear. I understand he left because he felt the product Simpson was putting out was becoming inferior but because it was such a big corporation, quality was diminishing on the product. He left the comany.
So he started Impact Racing (a Bill Simpson company) in order to get back to "quality" safety gear over quantity.
- I also understand the customer service at the new company is amazing, friendly, helpful, top-notch, etc.
And, Skip Barber has replaced all their Simpson helmets for Impact helmets (they buy all silver, so if you race/drive with Skip and are in the market for a helmet, avoid silver) and many, many of the Skip drivers are switching to Impact helmets as well. Supposedely, they are the most comfortable helmets on the market as well.
I think I am going to try to order one over the internet or find a local distributor. In the event that I have to order over the internet, I will make sure I can return it if I'm not happy.

However, I would still love to visit the Simpson shop. Sounds like a fun place to poke my head into.

Rich, I am going to be out of town for a few weeks. When I get back, why don't we meet at the shop. The first week in August??

B
Hey, sounds great. I look forward to meeting you. Are you going back to South Florida?

Rich
Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911
Hey, sounds great. I look forward to meeting you. Are you going back to South Florida?

Rich
I look forward to meeting you as well.

Going to Ohio, then Newport R.I., then Miami, then New York.. Lots of family to see.

Quick Reply: Where to buy a helmet in Los Angeles ??