Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Am I asking too much! (opinions needed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I asking too much! (opinions needed)

My wife just picked up her '96 Guards Red 993 after having the windshield rust repair done under warranty.

I'm not happy.

Despite the cars age, it is in great shape. I know I'm pretty **** but I want to be sure I'm not being too picky before I pounce.

There were two minor rust spots, surface only, and from what I could tell this evening the body work looks fine with no issues but the paint is another story.

As they blended the paint up either side of the windshield frame you can see by the finish where they stopped.

There are distinct spots on either side where the clear coat starts to fade to a dull finish. On one side at the edge of the rain gutter there is even a distinct line where they obviously masked the rain gutter and the clear-coat gets dull to that edge.

Then to make it worse they removed the black plastic 1/4 panel to windshield valence seals on either side to do the work and it looks like they reinstalled them with a combination of fingernails and a flat bladed screwdriver. Both of them were nice, shiny and mark free. Now they are dull and dented through their whole length.

This job was contracted out by the dealer to "reputable" body shop in Orlando Fl and we dealt directly with the bodyshop who sent the bill to the dealer. I live on the east coast about an hour and 15 minutes away so my time is a factor here. I had to make an appointment for the car and it still took almost 3 weeks to get it back.

Suggestions?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photos? (before and after - might be too late now but worth remembering for anyone else )

Talked to the Dealer yet? They have the option to not pay the bill just yet... I would assume anyway.

The Dealer still has to warranty the warranty work for another year yet anyway (when the original 10 years is up)... if it leaks or makes noise keep taking it back.

Sorry, not much else I can add.

Clive.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd bitch to the dealer... his responsibility and "no" I don't think you are asking too much for them to do the job well.

good luck
Old 07-14-2005, 08:44 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not that it is P-car related, but, I am pretty **** myself and have a quick story to relate to you.

My wife had an accident that was not her fault several years ago in our daily driver ro-deo. The work was all being done at no cost to us as the other drivers insurance was paying and the car was taken to a "reputible" shop. After 4 weeks of being without our transportation and my bitching and moaning to the insurance never did get us a rental car we picked up the car and I settled on taking it home because we needed it despite the fact the work looked like sh**. I hated that car from that day forward and threw a damn party the day we sold it.

The point of my story is DON'T SETTLE. If it's not to your liking have them redo it 20 times if necessary. I know you want the car back and drive it, but, you will regret it someday if not immediately if you settle for less than perfect.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:34 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

John is right. I've had some body work done that was not up to standard, and it drew my attention like a missing tooth every time I looked at that car. I complained to my insurance company, they back-charged the shop for the full amount, and then paid a second shop to do it right.

On the other side of the coin, I just had my 95 Guards Red in the body shop for a minor scrape along the left side (Bozo tried to pass stopped traffic in the iceplant median). It required a little metal work, and painting both left fenders. The results were perfect, looking at the car in every kind of light at every angle. There are shops out there that can do the work right. Talk to other Porsche owners, or the custom car/hotrod guys--they are pretty picky/**** about body work, and know who to go to. It's your car, and your choice of where it gets repaired.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
cooz
Pro

be nice and firm and let them know the work is unsatisfactory and should be redone or offer compensation.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

Not good enough, by a long shot. Make them fix it right.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:24 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

If it were me, I'd take it to another shop. If I've learned anything, it's taking the car back to the shop that didn't do it right the first time never yeilds satifactory results. I have a shop. No car goes out of my shop that is not up to what I would want for my own vehicle. Don't settle. Keep looking. Accepting crap work is not acceptable -- let them know that.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:33 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

As you may have seen, I recently had some major work done on the front of my car which required blending of paint and new seals where the quarter panels meet the cowling (?).

Although I am highly satisfied with my job now, it required 3 return trips. Don't settle for anything less than what is personally acceptable.

Quick Reply: Am I asking too much! (opinions needed)