Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement? (SF South Bay)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
George993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement? (SF South Bay)

Hi,

I just called one place at random (Glass Doctor - sounded like they know what they are doing), they quoted $930 complete job SIGLA or $1287 Sekurit. My car had it done by a dealer in 1998 (SIGLA - $1070, kind of nice to have all the records

Any recommendations regarding brands/places to get them/clued-in glass shops in the South Bay?

thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 PM
mborkow
Drifting

rick's glass (no affiliation). they did mine last summer for just under $700...i don't have the phone number handy though (but if you can't find them pm me and i will dig it up)
Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 PM
gjtrek
Instructor

I had mine installed by Glass On The Move [gotm.com] in Oakland, CA....at their shop but they also have outside drive up service. It took about 1 hour 15 minutes...I got a Sigla with antenna, tinting and it seems indistinguishable from the original. Very clean job, no surprises...some initial W/S squeaking but that has quieted down. I paid my deductible only but initially I think I got a quote for around $730.

It is actually quite easy to persuade an automobile insurer to replace the glass under the comprehensive coverage at which point you will have to pay a deductible. Mine was replaced simply due to pitting which "caused serious glaring" (my description - due to encounter with sand blowing across Hwy One in the San Diego County area recently)which interfered with safe operation of the vehicle. It seems like the insurers need some event or condition to have caused the pitting, something other then long standing operation of a vehicle or something like " well when I bought the car from the PO the windshield was badly pitted"...that will not get y ou to where you need to go!!

Most insurers do not spend the money to have anyone other then the glass installation company look at the windshield. The replacement of my windshield was authorized without anyone from the insurer or their representative looking at it. I spoke with a women in Ohio who worked for Safelite...it seems Safelite acts as the claims administrator for many, many automobile insurance companies to adjust the glass replacement claims. I was not required to install a Safelite windshield. I wanted a Sigla and that is what I got. Glass On The Move can assist in any questions you may have. No financial connection....just some useful information and advice.

Regards, Gary
Old 07-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a windshield replaced by Carlsen's recommeded shop and they did a horrible job. I believe it's Golden Bay Glass.

Also charged an inordinate amount ($2000) back in 2001...Won't be going back for sure and yes insurance covered it, but still..
Old 07-14-2005, 04:27 PM
mborkow
Drifting

is that mathews-carlsen? if so, they are the ones who recommended rick's to me (and i am quite pleased)
Old 07-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

No, Carlsen's the dealer. I guess I'll try Rick's next time!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 AM
George993
Intermediate

I called Glass on the Move in Oakland and Sigla at $614 sounds just right. I'll go with them. Gary - thanks for useful advice, but I run $1000 deductable on all my cars, so unfortunately windshield goes out of my pocket.

thanks to all for the comments

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement? (SF South Bay)