Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Available Performance Suspension For Type 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Best Available Performance Suspension For Type 993

Yesterday I received a call from Hong Kong as to a possible high level perfomance suspension upgrade for Type 993. I suggested that, rather than going aftermarket, for a variety of reasons, I would opt for the factory suspension used on the Type 993 RS and/or Type 993 GT2 street version. Additionally, one might use certain factory parts from the Type 993 GT2 race version. Should anyone wish, I would be happy to post part numbers.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen Pelican Parts offering RSR front struts for the 993 and wondered what they're supposed to be since I don't know of any 993 based RSR cars. As for the RS/GT2 Street version, are the rear shocks threaded?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert,

I do realize that you are not commenting on the streetability of the shocks/springs you were referencing and only offering to post part numbers. I just wanted to relate my experience with the factory RS setup. The factory stuff is just Bilstein shocks and struts. By now that is 10 year old technology. I have two sets in my garage. One that I removed from an RS and a factory replacement because I thought they were worn and wanted a replacement while I sent them out to Bilstein for reconditioning. I don't recall the spring rates for PSS9s, but the RS springs are 245 lb/in for the fronts and 457lb/in for the rears. I remember that this is similar to PSS9s. I do have some recent experience with Moton Club Sport shocks on a street driven 993 and can report that they are incredible. Not so much for their adjustability which, I haven't touched in over a year, but for their ability to soak up all bumps and road irregularities. There is never any undamped suspension motion as the car is always on the shock even in the first millimeter of motion. The factory RS stuff was a performance upgrade on smooth surfaces, however, it wasn't great for the street. It was very choppy on the [terrible] streets in Atlanta With the Motons you can comfortably run spring rates twice what the factory RS springs were, and, if you are a little nuts, you can run even higher spring rates and get away with it.

Hank
Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Without opining as to the Moton product, I was looking at things from a purely performance (not confort) point of view and I would still opt for a combination of factory parts although, no doubt, if one had the time, expertise and development budget, a better damper, at least for certain purposes, could be created today.

P.S. Though Moton adjustables (or other adjustables) -- be they 2, 3 or 4-way -- offer advantages to some who are expert enough to properly adjust them, the "old" Bilsteins which Dipl. Ing. Roland Kussmaul and others specified for the RS, GT2 (both versions), etc. were pretty darn good and, for the majority of non suspension setup experts, still offer advantages.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert,

Your points are well taken and I agree. By the way, I don't want to hold myself out as any kind of suspension setup expert.

Hank
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I would opt for the factory suspension used on the Type 993 RS and/or Type 993 GT2 street version. Additionally, one might use certain factory parts from the Type 993 GT2 race version. Should anyone wish, I would be happy to post part numbers.
Please, post the part numbers for the suspension setup! Thank you in advance!

Quick Reply: Best Available Performance Suspension For Type 993