993 Forum 1995-1998

Tree Sap on Cab Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tree Sap on Cab Top

I live in an area where we have lots on pine trees. Parked the car in the driveway last week while I was doing some work in the garage. Later I noticed a small cirle of tree sap on the cab roof. How do I get this off without damaging the fabric top?

I can't be the first person this happened to. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Michael
Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In shaded area, scrape as much of the sap with your fingernail, spray P21 Car Wash, or Raggtop top cleaner. Soak it in - with water flowing use a very soft brush in one direction to remove the sap. I find the Porsche Top protective spray to be excellent, so when this happens it is easier to remove.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just guessing here but i've heard you can remove gum with a ice cube. Wonder if it will work for "pitch"? I do know that WD40 will get it off of a solid surface quick and easy. Great for use as a hand cleaner. Takes off road/roofing tar. However I think it would leave a discolored (oily looking) spot on fabric. My wife has a book called "Helpful hints from Heloise" all about removing stanins and such.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:37 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've recently had sap issues with my other car. It's not a cab, so my experience applies only to paint and glass, but WD40 wasn't enough. I had to use a citrus-based cleaner, which was very effective. It was either this: or something very similar from this brand (Zep). I don't know what that would do to the soft top, but it sure worked well elsewhere.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:28 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't forget to clay your paint too. sap gets like candy on the paint. ergggghhhh. bol w/ the roof... let us know what works. i've been lucky w/ small sap spots coming up w/ a little extra "wash" (i use griots or raggtopp) & a small stiff plastic brush. (but i keep my cabs top cond. w/ protectant). wonder if some type of solvent is out there? canvas cleaner or boat cover cleaners etc...
Old 07-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

24FPS:

Thanks very much for your post. Brilliant idea. I will this weekend go to my local marine supply store and asked about canvas cleaners. This is a problem sailors must have already tackeled. By the way, I do keep the top treated with a convertible top protectant. May fear is rubbing too much will weaken the canvas fibers and the wrong chemical product will discolor the top, or worse.

Thanks.
Michael
Old 07-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coniferous sap is bad news. I have a problem with oak trees but it is not as bad as evergreesn

To cure my problem on my Audi TT Cab, I use noname baby shampoo... lathers up nicely and deals with oak tree sap quickly.

I also use WD40 for road tar etc.. on a good wax background. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Tree Sap on Cab Top