Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up car. A couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 10:04 PM
sojglenn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up car. A couple of questions.

Hi all,

Well i just got back from driving my new-to-me 1997 C2 Coupe back to Massachusets from Virginia. The car is incredible, and the driving experience is just about perfect. Of course being a new owner i am completely paranoid and i have a question on different sounds the car is making.

The car has many different noises and smells to it that I need to figure out which ones are normal. There is one i would like to ask folks here about to see if anyone could tell me if this is normal or not. After running the car up to 5K RPM or so and letting the car decelerate through the rev range, i sometimes hear a metalic "clank" sound after a moment or two of decelerating (say around 3K RPMs) that doesn't sound normal to me. I never hear it any other time, other than when letting the car decelerate slowly and let engine braking slow the car down.

The car is going into my mechanic for service soon anyway, but i was interested if anyone had any ideas if this is normal or not.

Thanks.

-Steve
Old 07-04-2005, 10:14 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,

Congrats on your new car and on your terrific road trip. That noise you describe does NOT sound normal. Please keep us posted after your mechanic checks it out.

Oh... where the heck are the pictures?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Congrats Steve,. By any chance is that a Blue on Cashmere 993?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase! Sounds like a great road trip home. Interested to hear what your wrench finds.. Hopefully something simple!
Old 07-04-2005, 11:58 PM
sojglenn
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys. This car is completely intoxicating. I just got back from another run and I have determined that this car is perfect. For the first time in my life i can say i am completely happy with a car.

Ty - Thats the one. Did you go look at the car?

As for the noise. I think clank is the wrong word. I narrowed down the noise a little bit more, and it almost sounds like a metallic resonance at a very specific RPM. And the funny thing is it happends when decelerating at *exactly* 3500 RPMs when i am not applying any throttle at all. If i apply a little throttle it doesn't occur. I was worried it might be detonation or something as i had just filled up, but given the really precise way it is occuring i am starting to think that it is just some metal piece vibrating.

As for pics. Here are the pics that the seller took. I don't have any of my own yet. I just threw together this web page, so hopefully it works!

http://home.comcast.net/~sojg/porsche.html

-Steve
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

Steve,

Congrats on your purchase, beautiful car.

As a non wrench turner, Pcar owner, let me welcome you to a psychosis called Pcar paranoia. I have the same mental illness I try to self medicate but am only sometimes successful lol.

Of course I would advise you to have the car looked at but let me also let you know, everytime my car makes a noise, rattle, smell, strange or not, I think I broke my car. One of my wrench turning friends always laughs at me because I am constantly asking him, what's wrong with my car? what was that noise? lol. Nothing is wrong with car, it is just the normal sounds of the pcar (except of course when something really does brakes and you will probably know it) I am guessing what you might be hearing are the hydralic lifters but don't quote me on it. I know nothing about mechanics. If it is the lifters, it is probably normal..
I am not saying the wrench turners on this board are incorrect, quite the contrary. They probably just don't suffer from the same paranoia that we do. AND, they truley do know when something is wrong and a LOUD CLANK as you describred may be misinterrupted. My guess is 90% your car is fine.

On another note, time for your first MOD. It is the cheapest one you will ever do so enjoy it for the little money !!!
www.bumperplugs.com

- take off your front plate and fill the holes. You will be happy.

Good luck, enjoy the car and welcome to PCAR PARANOIA..

B
Old 07-05-2005, 03:12 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

err guys... (not that I have one in my '95.).....

But isn't the varioram set to do it's magic at about 3500 rpm?

Could this be the culprit?

Congrats on the "new" car BTW! Looks realy sharp. Welcome.

Clive.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:36 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats, Steve..that's a nice find.....
Old 07-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the v-ram kicks on at 5k rpms. Nice looking car. You need 18" wheels immediately. Then it needs to be lowered. That's a good time for new shocks, as the stock ones are certainly shot. Oh, there's no end to the mods!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome Steve. Yes, please let us know what your mechanic finds. As for other noises/smells/etc, don't get paranoid, just enjoy the car and hopefully your mechanic will know what to do for you.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:14 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new toy!!
Could it be just the retractable spoiler retracting? which happens when you decelerate to a certain speed, I believe 45 mph. You know this makes some grinding noise sometimes.
Andrew
Old 07-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avillena
Congrats on your new toy!!
Could it be just the retractable spoiler retracting? which happens when you decelerate to a certain speed, I believe 45 mph. You know this makes some grinding noise sometimes.
Andrew
All the more reason to do the Ruf module upgrade!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good catch Andrew. I didn't even think of that although my car doesn't seem to drop the wing until I get to very slow speeds.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has a bit of a rattle after you blip the throttle and it is settling back down to idle - also around 2-3k rpm. Never thought much about it however. If you find out anything let me know.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car had that rattle too. It was what I would call a backflow of exhaust at the tailpipe when letting off the throttle. Try standing at the back of the car (car has to be warm, or the idle speed is too high) and blip the throttle (you can work the throttle from the engine compartment or have someone rev for you). A different muffler, or even removing the tip, did not solve the problem, only changing to aftermarket mufflers (Cargraphic in my case) did the trick. I hated that rattle, it was embarrassing, now there's a great pop when I let off the gas. Anyway, your mileage may vary, this seems to affect only some 993's. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Just picked up car. A couple of questions.