Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just picked up car. A couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on the new car! Can we get some pics please?

Scott
Old 07-06-2005, 09:04 AM
sojglenn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all the kind words.

As for pics, there was a link earlier in the message, but for those of us who missed it, here it is again.

http://home.comcast.net/~sojg/porsche.html

Another rennlist member (MonkeyBoy) was kind enough to have a listen to my car last night. It turns out we live about 10 minutes from each other, so i drove over his place and he had a listen (Thanks MonkeyBoy!). He feels it is some slight vibration in the exhaust system. He said he had a similar sound on his 95 C4 Cab, and tightening up the tips solved the problem. I am going to try that and see if it solves it (they were a little too hot to handle last night).

We also noticed that my 97 has slightly different tips than his 95. His are oval. Mine are oval but a little more squared off, and they stick out a little more. I doubt the guy i bought it from changed the tips, but you never know. Does anyone know if the tips were different in different model years?

Thanks again.

-Steve
Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
pchak
Pro

Steve,
The car looks awesome! Road trips to pick up a new car are always a great adventure.
Your noise has got me thinking about opening a post on my perceived "gremlin"

cheers,
Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Yeah, in my case the tips needed to be reseated and tightened. They didn't budge at all and tightening didn't fix it... but loosening them, moving them around a bit, and tightening them again did the trick. Lots of people have also had success with bending the heat shields a bit to get rid of resonance. I think the tips are the ones that Viken said are motorsound in this thread but I could be wrong: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/200297-are-these-exhaust-tips-stock.html. Your car definitely had the stock airbox cover, but I wouldn't be surprised if the mufflers were motorsound. The exhaust sounded better than I remember stock cans sounding. Nice car, and nice meeting you..
Old 07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
94rsa
Intermediate

Steve, congratulations on the new car. Sorry we didn't get to meet but I guessed you had purchased it since he didn't call me. Have fun and enjoy--Bill

Quick Reply: Just picked up car. A couple of questions.