Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ot: hey dads/moms...what's your choice for sport wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Presently have 98K+ miles on my '98 Audi A4 Avant. Been very happy with it; am starting to shop around for a 2006 S4 Avant to replace it. S4 is one idea but the back seat is awful tight.

Drove a used S6 Avant a year ago when started considering the A4 replacement. Car was an absolute blast; started negotiations but delayed when I found the car had been in an accident.

Tried a Dodge Magnum Hemi a few months ago. Great bang-for-the-buck but too hot rod-ish. After driving the Audi Tiptronic in both the S6 and a 2004 S4 the Dodge automatic felt too much like a standard American automatic- too much of a torque converter feel (the Audis felt more direct and closer feeling to a manual tranny - do a manual downshift and the engine would blip up RPM to match engine and tranny speed - just like a heel-and-toe downshift). Have heard the SRT is more Euro/sporty oriented but it's just RWD - not suited for Western PA winters.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
Presently have 98K+ miles on my '98 Audi A4 Avant. Been very happy with it; am starting to shop around for a 2006 S4 Avant to replace it. S4 is one idea but the back seat is awful tight.

Drove a used S6 Avant a year ago when started considering the A4 replacement. Car was an absolute blast; started negotiations but delayed when I found the car had been in an accident.
i'm pretty familiar with the a4 series cars. we owned a jetta and my brother has an '04 s4- which i love. the back seat of the jetta and the a4's are just too close to the fronts. you can't use a rear-facing child seat and expect to use the front seat (at least i can't fit).

i'm pretty interested in the '02-'03 s6. but i drove the e-class benz with the v8 yesterday and...mary, mother-of-god, that is a nice wagon! wow. i'd suggest a look if you all are also looking at wagons. the a6 is not out yet. i also drove the 5 series touring and it is nice as well, but not like the benz.

these are the issues i have with bmw 530xi v. benz e500 scenario. after all is said and done (adding bmw options and slashing benz sticker with dealer incentives), the price is similar:58ish. the benz store and sales people are well sorted and knowledgeable, very kind, and probably more trustworthy. this bmw kid i delt with was a laugher. i actually had to ask how long he was selling (2 years) half-way through the visit. he knew nothing. no joke here. this dude knew nothing about the bmw, let alone the competition. he told me i needed to look at the big picture- whatever that meant. i think he was trying to sell the car, but who the hell knows.

the benz is quicker, quieter, roomier, has third row, and feels better- to me. the bmw is better looking. the bmw also has that idrive system which gave me a good and proper laugh. looks cool, but the wife would have a stroke.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:48 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gerry,
Love the LR3. Just wish "Ford Rover" didn't wuss out on calling it a Discovery III, as in the ROW.

Until some LR3's come back off of lease, I'll keep driving my BIG wagon (96 Range Rover with 138K) into the ground.

Quick Reply: ot: hey dads/moms...what's your choice for sport wagon?