Ballast resistors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ballast resistors

I've been chasing a hot running condition and have narrowed the culprit to the Oil cooler fan ballast resistor.

While I'm in there, I thought I would replace the AC condenser ballas resistor as well.

Are these two parts identical?

I've checked PET and a part number shows (993.616.521.00) up for the Oil cooler resistor but not the AC resistor. Since they are both 0.45 ohms, I can assume they are interchageable..... I'd like to be sure before I order two of these bad boys.

Anybody else see this?

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Old 07-03-2005, 02:51 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told that the resistors are identical...as the relays. I'd ask the Porsche folks to be sure though.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:35 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott
BTDT. The resistors are indeed identical. There are many threads in the archives including some in the past week. There's also a long write-up at p-car.com. A Rennlist search would have been faster & better than the PET.

BTW, unfortunately there's no "while I'm in there," since the oil & AC resistors are in, respectively, the R & L fenders & involve totally separate jobs.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're going to replace both I would suggest that you remove the bumper cover and clean both the oil cooler and the AC condenser at the same time. I've had to do that to replace a leaking AC condenser and found an astounding amount of rubbish (leaves, road litter, twigs and a very dried out dead bird) up against the oil cooler and condenser. There's a good DIY on p-car.com.

Last edited by Felix; 07-03-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:26 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks guys!

Dan, I had a hard time deciphering the resistor quagmire in search....... And many thanks for the picture.
BTW, the "While I'm in there" is a tongue in cheek comment as the P-car writeup clearly explains how much a PITA this is going to be. I thought I would use some levity to convince myself to get started sooner rather than later.

Phelix, thanks for the tips. I'll keep my eye open for the dead bird.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 AM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did both a few nights ago. Took about 2.5 - 3 hours total to do both sides, no bumper removal. To be honest, I couldn't see how pulling the bumper would have made it easier. I'm sure it must, somehow, but I couldn't see it.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pulling the bumper cover means you can get at things from the side and not just through the opening created by removing the liner. But I agree it's not a requirement

And cleaning the ducts can only be done with removing the bumper cover.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it too and think the bumper cover removal makes a major PITA just a bit of a chore (ie, it's much easier to get at everything with it off). I started my replacement without removal and after deciding I didn't want to lose all the skin on my hands, I pulled the cover and it became relatively easy.

Quick Reply: Ballast resistors