Sponsored by:

Our cars aren't selling on EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 02:30 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I think most are overpriced. Dealers seem to put them out there hoping someone will bite. Is it just me or does it seem that there are more dealers than ever on ebay. Seems like just a couple years ago, there were alot of private sellers. I generally don't look at the dealer ads because the reserves are usually out of line with what the cars sell for either on the lot or especially by private sellers. Then again, some private sellers have unrealistic expectations.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:49 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infinii
How do you contact the seller directly? Isn't that frowned upon by EBay?
They don't like it, big time. It also opens you up to scam artists, imo. I've bought 4 cars on eBay, but each time it was through a completed auction. I got good prices, but it can be tough; part of what makes eBay a seller's paradise is newbies bidding the cars up for more than they're worth.

Emanuel
Old 06-26-2005, 08:50 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Failing to meet reserve is certainly not limited to 993s. When I was looking for a Lexus very few met reserve. Most of the ones that did had obvious problems, wether it be a "power seller" that sold mostly trinkets before switching to cars or cars that seemingly travelled the country like a nomad (according to carfax). I also noticed that even authorized dealers are holding and selling cars with accident histories.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

jdoc7.

What are you asking for your car?

Don
Old 06-26-2005, 10:03 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my 993 C4 2 years ago on Ebay at a great price from a private owner. A C4, with 33k miles, black on black, silver gauages and pedals, $4k stereo, 30k tune up ($2400 in tune work and parts) new tires, bra, tire pump, cover, 3 alarms, extra CD player, and every record. The overall condition of my 993 is still shocking to most people for vehicle 10 years old. I stole it at $36k and that was after 8 months of patience and watching. I even got a pair of rollar blades for a being a good customer and bought his 77 Bronco Sport a year later on Ebay BUT made an offer and closed the deal below the price being offered on Ebay. My observations, like others, see dealers being the primary sellers of Porsches. Overhead=higher prices. The same cars are listed a number of times over and overpriced in some cases. Peoples knowledge and patience is why they are not selling.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:07 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don,

Check your PM
Old 06-26-2005, 02:23 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

IMHO the market in general for all "luxury, sport and classic" cars seems to be inexplicably soft right now. I'm in the car biz (Classics, Street Rods, etc.) and even the prices and more importantly the intrest level in these markets seems a little slack. I have noticed in the past a trend. Summer brings kids out of school, vacations, and as a result a shift in intrest in spending $$ on "fun stuff". Just my 2cnts
Old 06-26-2005, 03:54 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of deals are made offline. That and the fact that most cars on Ebay aren't anywhere close to the buyer. It isn't like selling a cel phone or a screw driver kit by Craftsman, it's a high end item that people are more cautious about buying. If you look on Ebay at other high end items such as Rolex Daytonas, many don't close sold. That's not to say that there aren't any buyers, just that they either get sold offline- live or shipped- or the seller isn't reputable. There are too many factors. Take baseball cards as another example. You could get a 94 Arod sp rc for under $50. The seller could tell you it was mint in their eyes and it wouldn't mean a damn thing. Now if that same card was graded by a reliable 3rd party company like PSA or BGS, it could get over $500 being mint. If there was a 3rd party grader for cars that would do the same it might help. They'd have to check the car out and encapsulate it in plastic prior to the sale. Overall, you can't look at Ebay and feel like our cars are worth less because they aren't selling. Ebay is kinda like wholesale. You go there to get a deal on aluminum guage trim and pedals. Same goes for cars. I used to hustle a lot on Ebay, and before any item got there, I tried to off it for more offline. Ebay is great, don't get me wrong, i love it, but it's a monster you need to understand.

just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Our cars aren't selling on EBAY