Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen for street tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:01 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why the hate for Costco, its freaking free! Why the conspiracy theory? Its not like they require you to fill your tires with Nitrogen everytime you go there.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
Does anyone use nitrogen for their street tires?

I ask because I just got a new set of tires for my SUV and thats what they fill them with. They say it will maintain a more constant pressure with changes in temperature, i.e., ambient temperature that is. Is that correct?

Apparently all Costco stores now fill tires with nitrogen.
Actually, you want too use hydrogen to reduce unsprung weight.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
Yes, this is absolutely correct.

Most of us that have regular air compressors can try putting out some air on the floor and will notice that water will build up as you continue to spray the air on the floor. In fact most compressors have a valve on the bottom to drain the water tha builds up in the tank.
:
The moisture is due to the Bernoulli effect of compressing and uncompressing a gas. When a gas is warmer its capacity to hold moisture is greater. When you release pressure the gas cools and moisture condenses from within the gas and the air around it. The moisture inside the tank is partly due to the warmed air upon compressing will absorb moisture. As the air in the tank cools to room temperature, moisture condenses inside the tank.

I don't know that nitrogen will retain less water under the same conditions. I doubt there is a difference. However, nitrogen is inert and will not oxidize. There is probably more benefit from that property than anything else. Oxygen is very reactive, but if you want something really reactive, try fluorine!

Marv
Old 06-22-2006, 02:11 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how a hydrogen-filled tire would work with a flame-shooting exhaust
Old 06-22-2006, 02:26 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

When I had an alignment done at Lucent they filled with Nitrogen. Tom told me not to touch the tire pressure until I came back. Well, that was about 2 or 3 months ago and my tire pressure hasn't changed at all. Don't know if the nitrogen has anything to do with that or just the nice new tires, but I was surprised to see that the pressure hasn't changed at all.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Actually, you want too use hydrogen to reduce unsprung weight.

Marv, you beat me to it!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
hahahaha helium, very funny grmnxtc....but would that make them sound funny too?
Only dogs could hear them when they squealed.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:18 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Discount Tire and Belle Tire here also use nitrogen. They have nitrogrn extractors, so it is always available to them. Because most of their business involves the use of compressed air driven tools (I was told by the supervisor), the dry air makes their tools last much longer, and is cost effective. Filling the tires will certainly stabilize the pressures over temp. changes, but I think this is an unintended benefit. At the track, I routinely see an 8-10 lb. increase in pressures, and am contemplating using nitrogen to reduce it. The stuff is pretty cheap (approx. $15-$20 a season with 12 events and 2-3 sets of tires). The disadvantage is getting a tank safely to the track. If you fill and purge a tire a few times, you'll get enough nitrogen % to make a significant difference.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
So is Costco selling snake oil?
The machines in use at Costco, Discount Tire, etc. can only produce gas that is 95% nitrogen. There was another discussion about this over on the 997 forum.

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
At the track, I routinely see an 8-10 lb. increase in pressures, and am contemplating using nitrogen to reduce it.
The GrandAm DP cars that run 100% nitrogen see the same 10lb increase, there was a little SpeedTV piece about it a few races ago.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 06-22-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI,

You can put the "dryer" (cheap thing that painter's use) to your air compressor hose if you want to get rid of humidity.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:40 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at COSTCO and saw the sign touting its advantages. I actually considered getting tires there once, but I found their pricies were not that great compared to other retailers. But the N2 sign sealed the deal for me. I will never get tires from there....

But I do find myself craving joint juice and fish oil tablets after seeing their adverts on the gas pumps outside. Snake oil? Nah, they just hope you walk out with some more crap that just came off the cargo ship that you dont really need....
Old 06-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

It isn't snake oil. Dry gas expands less than gas containing water. Water makes things rust - no water means no rust. Some tires have steelo belts. N2 is less corrosive than air even if the air has been filtered dry.

Nitrogen is better which is why race cars and airplanes use it. Performance tire dealers always fill race tires with N2. I don't know if Costco purges tires or not, if they do, great. If not, well it's free so why quibble?

Best,
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Bob Rouleau]...Nitrogen is better which is why race cars and airplanes use it. Performance tire dealers always fill race tires with N2. I don't know if Costco purges tires or not, if they do, great. If not, well it's free so why quibble?QUOTE]

A-men ! Airplanes and Race cars go through much greater temperature cycles and so nitrogen helps. It is probably overkill on a street vehicle, but if it is free, then why complain?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
...Nitrogen is better which is why race cars and airplanes use it.
FAA regulations require it to reduce fires hazards during landings caused by overheated rims.

“PART 25--AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANES 25.733 (e) For an airplane with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of more than 75,000 pounds, tires mounted on braked wheels must be inflated with dry nitrogen or other gases shown to be inert so that the gas mixture in the tire does not contain oxygen in excess of 5 percent by volume, unless it can be shown that the tire liner material will not produce a volatile gas when heated or that means are provided to prevent tire temperatures from reaching unsafe levels.”

Dry gas expands less than gas containing water.
Water vapor is still a gas and won't deviate that much from pv = nRT at the tire pressures we use. Even if the error was 5% (the maximum error rate listed in Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers) and the tire contained 1% water vapor you'd still be below the accuracy level of most tire gauges. Maybe in F1 where 1/8 PSI matters. But in this case Costco is not selling dry gas they are selling 95% nitrogen which as the Finn points out can be just as wet as air coming out of regular air compressor with an inline dryer.

well it's free so why quibble?
Because it's a sales gimmick that is not free everywhere and the advertised reasons for using it don't past the smell test.
Its a convenient source of dry gas, that I can understand but any other reason...

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
Airplanes and Race cars go through much greater temperature cycles and so nitrogen helps.
"Pressure will increase or decrease to the same extent as the temperature increases or decreases regardless of which gas is in the tire."
Old 06-23-2006, 01:11 AM
sww914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more worried about blowing up my hotrod 4 cyl. than I am about the relative humidity of the air inside of my tires.
Who ever heard of tires rotting from the inside? Steel belts rusting out? I've been driving for 25 years, and I've never had a tire explode from rusty steel belts. every tire I've ever seen the inside of looked pretty darn nice compared to the outside of the sidewalls.
I think that in airplanes that are subjected to super low temperatures and very low ambient pressures it is completely valid to use a very dry gas that has less of a tendency to expand, but my car has never been at 40,000 feet, and it never gets to 30 below zero on the California coast.
Most of the tire shops in my area are offering nitrogen fills, so you're not married to Costco around here, anyway.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen for street tires?