Sponsored by:

Engin Breakin

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 07:37 PM
frisbee54
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engin Breakin

Hi I just read an artical from Power News Magazine that goes aginst what your typical qwners manual would tell you on how to breakin your new engine, he says to warm up engine completely then alternate between short bursts of hard acceration and deceleration and to use a non synthetic oil and then change oil and filter after 20 miles and refill with non synthetic oil and run it for the next 1500 miles after which you can change it and put in your favorite brand of oil, he says he has done over 300 engines like this and looking at his photos of pistons from both types of breakins he makes a pretty convincing case for doing it his way so I just thought I would see what some our engine experts here on Rennlist thought about this Thanks Doug
Old 06-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds about right. The short, and they must be short, accel bursts up the cylinder pressures and get the rings working.A new built engine that is ***** footed around is in danger of bore glazing and a further rebuild.
Just watch new cars coming off the production line to get the idea.
Geoff
Old 06-11-2005, 11:22 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Having had a M3 rebuilt at 90,000miles for piston ring failure, I researched alternative breakin procedures, including this one ... I followed it ... the car is now sold, so time will tell, and I will not necessarily know ... good luck,

Quick Reply: Engin Breakin