Sponsored by:

97 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 03:03 PM
A4Eric
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 C2S

I want to know every thing there is to know about the 97 C2S.... HP, zto60, production numbers, available options and any other cool things about the car... and also the bad things. The recalls horror stories (don't worry I already have my mind set on a 993 C2S).

Regards,
Eric
Old 06-11-2005, 03:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Eric, welcome to Rennlist. If you "already have your mind set on a 993 C2S", then I suggest first thing you should do is join this forum. Its pretty cheap for what you will get in return and will serve you well into ownership.

Congrats on picking one of the coolest 993 cars IMHO... I am of course biased because I too have a C2S, albeit 1998 - the very last year that Porsche produced rear-wheel drive air-cooled 911.

My suggestion is to use the search function on this site, and you will find answers to all your questions. However, here are some random thoughts to start you out...probably not exact, but pretty close...

1. 96+ year 993s have Varioram, which increased horsepower to 282 in US, 285 in Europe I believe... (?)
2. Although stats will vary by source, consider 0-60 time a little more than 5 seconds for a manual car...
3. Lots of available options, too many to list here. Some of the cooler IMHO: 18" hollow spoke wheels, motorsound package (sportier sound), hard back sport seats, litronic xenon lights, M030 sport suspension, hi-fi stereo sound package, carbon fiber or aluminum tim interior, etc.
4. cool things about the car - sound, looks, road-feel., collectibility This is not a fast car really, compared to newer models. But it looks fantastic when lowered a little and all cleaned up...just beautiful curves...especially the widebody. THe slightly nervous bobbling of the light front end while the steering wheel dances around in your hand... its a very connected feeling to the car and road.
5. horror stories will vary, the following seem to be common ones -- OEM monroe shocks suck and give out after awhile, the US ride height looks like an SUV and needs some attention to lower and tighten, steering wheel is ugly in stock form, carbon build up can form over time and top end rebuild could be necessary, brakes can get very squealy/loud, shifter can be a bit vague and notchy, ergonomics not very modern. THere are other things...I know I am forgetting many... but most are far outweighed by the positives.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Ran acroos this car in SoCal for sale. 97' C2S with 24k miles CF interior, Turbo S tail and ducts unfortunately it is a TIP. No affiliation, I was going to check it out until I found out it had a Tip. I think he is asking $48k. I have more pics if anyone is interested.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
Ran acroos this car in SoCal for sale. 97' C2S with 24k miles CF interior, Turbo S tail and ducts unfortunately it is a TIP. No affiliation, I was going to check it out until I found out it had a Tip. I think he is asking $48k. I have more pics if anyone is interested.

Tip cars can be easily converted to manual. Its a bolt-in operation. The only snag is one has to change the speedo, and susequently the odometer. This can be a tough sell once this car is sold again. The bonus is, you'll have OBC already installed.

If I could come across a really clean C2S tip, for a to good to be true (due to tip), I wouldnt mind going for it
Old 06-11-2005, 10:31 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Tip cars can be easily converted to manual. Its a bolt-in operation. The only snag is one has to change the speedo, and susequently the odometer.
Hi Chris, just curious how much you think the conversion would cost?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:06 AM
A4Eric
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mrsullivan]Eric, welcome to Rennlist. If you "already have your mind set on a 993 C2S", then I suggest first thing you should do is join this forum. Its pretty cheap for what you will get in return and will serve you well into ownership.

Congrats on picking one of the coolest 993 cars IMHO... I am of course biased because I too have a C2S, albeit 1998 - the very last year that Porsche produced rear-wheel drive air-cooled 911.

My suggestion is to use the search function on this site, and you will find answers to all your questions. However, here are some random thoughts to start you out...probably not exact, but pretty close...

I’m setting my membership up as I type... thanks for the help... I hear you about the ride height I will naturally go with coilovers strut bracing and sway bars, any brands you recommend? Most of my friends with Porsches have PSS9s of Ruf. Any other brands I should consider.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:01 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

consensus on suspension seems to be Pss9 for the track, or the ROW M030 w/Bilstein for stiff, spirirted street driving

Quick Reply: 97 C2S