Alternator Bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternator Bearing.

I heard a funny noise coming from the fan area of the engine compartment. I was hoping it was just the fan bearing, so I ordered a replacement. Last night I began the removal of the alternator and I discovered that the problem is not the fan bearing but another bearing, internal to the alternator.

I will change the fan bearing anyways but I was wondering whether the alternator bearing can be changed with out replacing the alternator itself.

Worst case, Autozone has the alternator for $153.00.

Thanks and if anyone is leery of the alternator removal, not to worry. Both Robin's P-car instructions as well as some useful threads on Rennlist from ViperBob take out all the guess work.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:53 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be the main shaft bearing.I would not get an Autozone part,it is a cheap remaned bit.They probably did not even replace the bearing in question.Bosch remans are ver good and not that much more.The factory remaned part is also not that expensive either.The job is not that hard,but why do it twice,just me professional opinion.I would be happy to supply the part or aim you at a decent supplier if that helps,good luck,Jerry
Old 06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jerry is the coolest. I just got off the phone with him and I can pickup the real deal today! What a country.

Quick Reply: Alternator Bearing.