Sponsored by:

help me ID this autothority-programmed ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
zwoobah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me ID this autothority-programmed ECU

my dad bought a 993 a while back, and it came with an autothority-programmed ECU. unfortunately, it seems to be an ECU from a newer 911 (potentially a 98 993) and as a result the check engine light was permanently on. the car ran great, but the ECU was looking for data from sensors that don't exist on my dad's 1996 car. so, we took out that ECU, and replaced it with the stock one. i'd like to sell the old one, but have no idea which car it's actually meant for. does autothority provide a listing of serial numbers? Is there any way to determine what year car the ECU is meant for, and what software is on it, without reconnecting it to my dad's car and scanning through OBD-II?
The only documentation I've got is a photocopied shop reciept, that indicates the former owner purchased a new ECU listed as #993-618-604-11 for $1895, and had it programmed with Autothority Cartronic software #01-993-900C, which is noted as giving 16hp and 19lb-ft torque for $695. Any ideas what car it's meant for?
I'd love to get this sold for my dad, and either just hand him the check on father's day, or use the money toward a set of wheels I know he's had his eye on. thanks in advance for any help, I'm used to building and tuning watercooled VWs so the porsche thing is a bit new
Old 06-09-2005, 07:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zwoobah
i'd like to sell the old one, but have no idea which car it's actually meant for. does autothority provide a listing of serial numbers? Is there any way to determine what year car the ECU is meant for, and what software is on it, without reconnecting it to my dad's car and scanning through OBD-II?

That (993-618-604-11) ECU is for a regular (M64.23/24) MY98 993 with driveblock. One of the features of the autothority software is to raise the rev-limiter by 300RPM. I don't think they are in business any more but some of the employees may have a new shop in the area that you could call and they might know more.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The only documentation I've got is a photocopied shop reciept, that indicates the former owner purchased a new ECU listed as #993-618-604-11 for $1895, and had it programmed with Autothority Cartronic software #01-993-900C, which is noted as giving 16hp and 19lb-ft torque for $695. Any ideas what car it's meant for?"

That's a real problem for flash-programmed ECMs, you never really know what you're getting
when you buy one of these, especially for an OBDII car. Besides the headache of finding someone
who can truly "re-flash to stock", there'll always be a big ??? when the random CELs occur as to the real problem.

As can be seen from items sold on eBay, there's always someone willing to pay/gamble
for more HP, even if they don't know what they're really buying.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:22 PM
zwoobah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. I put it up on ebay, so hopefully it'll sell, it's not doing anyone any good sitting in a drawer. I do miss how the car drove with it though, my dad and I do some time trialing, and it def lost some top end. oh well.

Quick Reply: help me ID this autothority-programmed ECU